Wednesday 31 January 2024

Suicide Thoughts and tid bits of my hobby - writing

I think I am going to start with Suicide Ideation. I attended a one hour lecture yesterday for my education hours. As you know I exceed what I require and attend anything new, when I think I need a refresher, or anything interesting. I have attended quite a few about suicide ideation because it is a serious problem and my job is to give people hope to stay alive. I am glad that our government has been listening to us who are opposed to MAID for the mentally ill, at least they are delaying. When it is easier to just assist people to die, than to actually provide the support needed, it makes one wonder. I will be getting the video probably next week and post it. Though it is meant for therapists, I believe it is very beneficial for everyone to be aware of. One of the things I was taught while a grad, was to have a client sign a contract that while in therapy, they will not commit suicide. For the first few years as a therapist it was almost a fear that if I did something wrong, it would cause the death of my client. After years as a therapist, I recognize that I am only human, I can do the best I can with a combination of my education and experiences but I cannot control the fate of others. I can only do my best. I was always told that I worked too hard and needed to detach myself more. I think I have done that, but it may have more to do that no one in my care actually died. However, I also know that can change. I stopped asking clients to sign contracts because part of my learning is from my clients themselves. It was when I was asked if I really thought that my contract would have stopped her/him from committing suicide. The one thing I do not ever want to do is insult a client. I have stopped with the contracts. What I do is try to determine if there is a plan and if the person is in danger. By law, I would have to report it. However, I have to believe it. I have heard from people who had blurted out to unqualified counsellors that perhaps they should kill themselves after being forced to watch war movies for a reaction as an example and have their careers ruined. In Ontario we are all registered and if one is not registered than that person cannot be a therapist. There are fines for that. I have found that many with suicide thoughts do not share those thoughts until they have come to therapy. What I try to do is have them share what they are going through with a parent if they are young or with a spouse etc...If you are reading this and you have suicide thoughts, you are definitely not alone. Tell someone. I also encourage support groups. Unfortunately, I have not found support groups for persons in Toronto specifically designed for the person suffering from suicide thoughts. I was surprised to find one for family, with MAID advertized as well. Obviously I would never recommend such a facility. My objective is to keep people alive and by doing that, it is to re-ignite or find hope, a purpose to live. We are not meant to live in isolation and need others. People live with so much burden, guilt, secrets etc.....This is why I work directly with the client and do not share any information with any organization. It is no one's business even if they are paying for it. This may apply to the government, Veteran Affairs etc.....As a therapist it is my obligation to protect the client and report only when I am obligated to report and that is with the client's knowledge. We still need work there to stop organizations getting information and use payment for therapy as a crutch, rather than an aid for clients. Insurance companies are beginning to get it. Others are not. It is duress when to pay for therapy, you ask the client to sign in agreement that info will be shared to them. That is why I have clients submitting claims themselves. I also know that people will not talk freely if they know that information will go elsewhere. Of course there is more involved than what I am talking about right now. Canada has also recently provided a Suicide Prevention number "988", where you can call or text. Why not take that first step in getting help for yourself? Friday I will be attending another lecture about siblings. This is from the Ontario Association of Family Therapy. Last night I listened to a talk from the Alliance of Independent Writers. One man there has written about 250 books. That is amazing to me and I will definitely be looking him up. So, once again I have lots to catch up with. Take care for now. Next topic will be light - my hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment