Saturday 31 December 2022

For Love of Country - Military Policewoman www.silvaredigonda.ca

“She’s a real pain!” complained Carl. “I don’t care who she thinks she is. If she doesn’t stop bossing me around, I’m quitting.” Carl was shaken. “Relax, Carl and tell me what happened.” I said sympathetically. Carl was a good worker. He had also saved my life once by pulling me away from an oncoming farm tractor. The driver had failed to see me trip into its path. We had been working at the Exhibition during a fair. “That woman is some army-type supervisor, and she is ordering me around like I’m one of her little soldiers and I won’t stand for it.” “I’ll take care of it Carl. Take a break. I’ll join you later for a cigarette. I’ll buy the coffee.” I grinned at him, but he was still too furious to respond. I approached the non-descript, rather masculine woman who had the ability to upset Carl so much. “Hi, is there a problem here,” I asked? “No there isn’t a problem,” she replied arrogantly. “I happen to be a supervisor in the army and security here could be improved. I was telling Carl…” She avoided looking at me. “You are not in the position to tell Carl anything,” I began. “What you do in the army does not impress me or anyone else here. You will not dictate to anyone further. You will remain in your position and guard your area.” Not once did she look at me as I spoke. My serious tone meant business and she refrained from further demonstration of self importance. I left. The remainder of the evening was wonderful. I loved the excitement of the fair. I spoke to an OPP officer in the arena and told him of my future occupation. He was about my father’s age. “The worse part is the children,” he said. “You never get used to it. I’ve been to so many vehicle accidents…” His memories were too painful for words. Walking alone, away from the bright lights and people, I approached a young man about my own age who was also working at the fair. He lived outside Markham. There is something appealing about men from the countryside. He talked about the earth and being in tune with nature. He spoke of values, traditions and of being at peace with oneself. He was so unlike the men I knew. He did not care for dance clubs, fashions or city life. Here he was, all alone and comfortable. The mystery of it dazzled me. Excerpt From: Silva Redigonda. “For love of country : military policewoman.

No comments:

Post a Comment