Thursday 21 April 2022

Singles Parent Families - Is it enough?

As I go through all my paperwork which I shred after reading, I came across an old essay I wrote in OAC which is equivalent to grade 13, which has been eliminated with now grade 12 being the standard. I will share what I believe is still relevantI. I was a late bloomer getting a computer and didn’t until I went to university, where it was impossible to survive without. So here goes: Being a single parent now is more popular and acceptable in this country than ever before. Society asks is it enough? Yes. Interview Commentary: The young attractive woman had a mysterious aura. Her long dark fashionable coat enhanced her appearance. It had been donated. The young mother, a ward of the country had an aura of sophistication. Her flawless dark skin, perfect teeth, combined with natural grace made it difficult to imagine her at Canada’s mercy. The questionnaire was responded to without self pity nor arrogance. The young Refugee, pregnant and with a child, was being given every opportunity to become a Canadian. The young woman seemingly helpless does not represent all single parents, a substantial amount are financially independent, well educated and socially active. Single parenting is an alternative or option to placing the child for adoption, abortion, or duel parenting (especially where parents living together are fighting or unhappy). Single parents may foster children indicating positivity. —-Single Parent Families: Being a single parent may be difficult for both the parent or child. The Ups and Downs for a Single-Parent Family by Carol Lynn Pearson and Divorce, and Single parent Families by E.W. Beal helps to understand the stress involved for families and the support from others to overcome it, “There are currently over 11.3 million children [living in single-parent homes in the USA] (Beal, p 256). As of October 2021 according to Statista Research Department there were 208.4 million single family units in the USA. Pew Research reports (Dec 12, 2019) that for decades the share of U.S. children living with a single parent has been rising accompanied by a decline in marriage rates and rise in births outside marriage. In Canada according to Statista There were about 1.83 million single parent families living in Canada, compared to 1.56 million in 2010. (Now keep in mind that the US has about 10x more of a population than Canadians). Beal indicates that, “Dysfunctional-child relationships can no longer be compensated for by a sympathetic other parent.” (Beal, 257) To be continued: I have added some recent stats for you. I will continue to provide you with video from the Ignatian two day seminar spoken in English (hopefully) which may be of interest to some of you. After that is completed I shall continue to provide you with the theological ethic notes, continue with the single parenting essay which I am modifying for you and of course add some of my own stories I have published for fun only at this time. I am trying to provide you with three entries a week. Reminder that during 11 and 12 of June I shall be at Word on The Street. Come and say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment