Wednesday 13 April 2022

McLauglin Library, Guelph University

This will be the last article regarding Guelph University. This will also be the end of one notebook. I had a good time at Guelph. My first time in Guelph was during a retreat when I was in high school at the Ignatius Jesuit Centre founded in 1913 with current buildings dating back from 1934. Being from the city I was always interested to check out the country. Once I was old enough to drive and get my own car I would venture out of Toronto for a relaxing drive. I continued this practise with my mom and by myself or friends until this car said enough is enough. So I am listening to my car. I like to keep things until they can no longer move. When I went to the Jesuit place the last time it was to visit my old friend and Pastoral Counsellor who was such a mentor to me. He is buried at the site. It is ironic that during the service I was with my professor and we spent the day at the beaches and lunched in memory of our mutual friend. I lost him as well to COVID and he too is now buried at the site. So I have some connection to Guelph. I went to Guelph University one summer during grad studies to study a research course of family systems. It was held in the library where I would grab a quick coffee during break time. I liked Guelph. The food there is amazing and beats out any other university I have been to. Kathryn Harvey provided us during the seminar with a talk about her library which she clearly loved. During the 1960’s the library received a huge fund. She stated that 1.5 million visit annually. They have seating from 1,900 in 2006 to 4000 with plans to include more. Catherine Harvie provided us with some insight. She states that what distinguishes one library from others is primarily their collections. They have seven. The Agricultural history and Rural Heritage Collections was held at Milton’s Museum and transferred to Guelph when the museum closed down (that must be a good story. Why close down a museum?). They have Culinary Collections (no surprise there). They also have Landscaping Architecture Collections. Also is Lucy Maud Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables). Theatre Collections; Regional and Early Campus History; Scottish Collections - the largest outside the UK. Acquired through donations and open to the general public. The pride is evident in their collection and I love libraries so I wished to share this with you. We also had a talk from the head coach there. “Be the best you can be” seems to be his motto, with 80 National titles. This was all started with zero resources. His mother raised three boys on her own. He is the coach of Olympians (Lalonde). It should be fun. He stated, “most of us don’t ever go as great as we can go.” (I agree with that. It’s amazing what our bodies can do). This coach will share with other coaches information which he states is contrary from the norm. Some go to Guelph and learns from him and then tries to beat him. He expects one who learns something new to return and share. One third do. He showed us one particular slide which stood out. It is about a group of 16 or 17 year olds with middle aged old men (with beer belly - if memory serves me well) coaching them. He points to a young female athlete who will replace him. Seven of his group were placed in the olympics. He did a movement plan with a bunch of kids and got them running and watched them grow. They came from a background of problems, abuse…..First enjoying the share of community. He has done what he wants to do. In brackets while listening to him I circled huge heart in my notes. So, if you are in Guelph take a walk around the campus. They have a renowned veterinarian school. For a small city, they have big stuff going on. What do you think? Who knows maybe something will bring me back in the future, but not if my car has anything to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment