Friday 17 July 2015

Dialing up help for veterans (30 veterans volunteering to hear you)

I am working on my to do list so I can get back to writing my third book. I read an article in the Toronto Star some time ago about veterans helping others. This is always of interest to me because I found that in my internship years I was always trying to reach out to veterans and seemed blocked for one reason or another. I have found since that veterans seeking help felt, that they too were struggling to get the help. I am not sure why. Today I called the toll-free help line 1-855-373-8387 and spoke to a volunteer. He gave me a bit of history that one veteran who couldn't seem to find help for himself, found a politician who cared and helped him with this project. Apparently they went to different locations across Canada speaking to veterans and found that their needs were not being met. I am always impressed when Veterans try to reach out to others and try to help them when the system is somehow failing. I also think that there is always hope for change especially in a caring society. This help line consists of a caring Veteran on the other side willing to hear you. You will get one of 30 volunteers. This extends to everyone. "Even the U.S.A veterans" I asked? Yes was the reply. To each and every veteran out there. You don't have to carry your burden alone. What do you think? To the families of the marines killed, you have my heart felt sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment