Tuesday 1 November 2022

Introduction to Psychotherapy with Non-monogamous Clients

During 22 Sep 22, I attended a two hour Introduction regarding psychotherapy with non-monogamous clients. These are from my notes, further to my earlier entry regarding this topic. This talk was provided by Carling Mashinter, MSc, RP. No statistics were provided which I find important. I indicated that I was curious of the statistics regarding the percentage of the population of different countries who are polygamous. From what I recall from my undergrad is that the majority of the world is serial monogamous. If I haven't shared those stats to you, then they are somewhere in my notes to provide to you. The speaker stated that her clients have complained that therapists don't understand the terminology. Common concern from clients was social isolation including shame and secrecy, dicision making challenges, internalized negative beliefs about self and their relationships. Another concern was safe and secure attachments: boundary isolations do happen. As an example nights when all partners are together but one arrives late. The speaker stated that this could lead to attachment injury. There could be jelousy, differentiation process - difference in relationship structure preferences. The speaker talked about the Use of Capacity - decision making on use of finite resources (time, energy, physical, space; finances. Maintenance of safe and secure attachments in the context of capacity changes one or limitations. Sites and Podcasts for this topic is more than two.com; www.polydictionary.org; podcast: www.mutiamory.com and intellectualerection.wordpress.com. I have not checked out the resources. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment