Friday 4 November 2022

For Love of Country - Military Policewoman

My mother’s face remained serious. “You are at the peak of womanhood. You will be able to withstand the physical training.” On October 3, 1974, at the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre, I swore the oath of allegiance. I felt proud as I placed my right hand on the Holy Bible. “I Silva Redigonda do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to her majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors according to law, so help me God.” Capt Fowler faced me and the other four women in the room. “Your training will be exactly the same as the men’s,” he stated. That evening I went for a walk with Sandy, and we stopped at the Ranch Restaurant. “I love him,” Sandy said, pain stricken. That night as I slept, my nightmare returned. I was on a passenger flight and as it flew through the clouds, it exploded.
Excerpt From: Silva Redigonda. “For love of country : military policewoman.”

No comments:

Post a Comment