Friday 24 January 2014

Something to think about when it comes to religion, spirituality and leadership.

    This morning it is extremely cold again and so I have the liberty of a me day.   I was thinking about Theology.  I was wondering where we as people were headed to.  I was actually listening to the newscast recently when I heard that life as we know it would change due to climate change.  I thought that very interesting because it has been about eight years or more since I attended about a two or three day seminar about climate change and how we are responsible for its increase.  What is happening, would happen but not at this speed.  I lived before today’s technology dominated the world.  However, many in this generation have grown without that transition.  They have been born into technology.  I think progress is good.  I think what we have is wonderful.  I cannot afford to keep up to date with the electronics which advances weekly.  Whenever I do buy something that I need, it is like buying a new toy.  I remember typing and hoping not to make a mistake.  Those days are over.  Or are they?  In everything we do, we tend to forget the consequences.  A friend of mine was telling me how one country was tampering with the weather because they wanted a particular forecast that day.  I shook my head, in agreement that it was not healthy.  We tend to forget about the future and just think in the present.  There seems to be a greed that far surpasses what is best for society, especially the future.  Too many in positions of power play God.  They ignore the warnings of scientists.  I sometimes wonder why?  They have children.  Can they really be that blind sighted?  

       I remember attending a work shop and the topic was the environment.  I thought it would be similar to what I had attended at university.  What I found remarkable is that someone thought I was ridiculous for even considering global warming as a problem.  He became downright rude.  How can you argue when someone is being fallacious to shut you up?  He would learn in time.   I know that I was shocked when I heard about how serious this was.  I wanted to learn more.  I was so interested that had I been younger I would have immediately enrolled in their Masters program dealing with Emergency Management.   We were told that the States would scoop us right up.   I was used to seeing American recruiters setting up outside some exam rooms for certain disciplines.  Why not?  

       I decided to study theology and counselling for the next chapter consisting of five years.  It has been very interesting.  I studied under the Jesuits.  The Pope is a Jesuit.  Jesuits are not normally promoted.  That is not in their mandate.  I am glad that I had the solid instruction I have had from them.  I have also been in the company of the religious of other dominations and I am always learning and consistently surprised.  This is what makes life interesting.
      Yesterday I spoke to a man who told me he had stayed up all night because he had been praying at the temple.  He looked tired, but as he spoke of his religion, his face lit up.  He began talking about his religion.  He was trying to convince me that his religion is a healthy one.  I thought of all the major religions and responded that they are all good in theory.  He was curious why as a therapist I was interested in religion and spirituality.  I explained that it is important for me to know and acknowledge any person who comes to me, including their belief systems.  Religion and Spirituality is a part of their being.  How can I work with a person of the Muslim religion, a Jew or a Christian if I discard that part of them as nonsense or superstition?   I do not have to believe the same thing, nor believe in anything but I should believe in the person who comes to me and I do.  I need to understand what their religion is.  I need to understand what their spirituality is.  I need to understand the entire person.  We are all affected by everything we are exposed to and that includes our belief system and how we understand it.  
       As I come in contact with the religious, of the different dominations, I am always surprised when I see arrogance.  Recently, I was informed that Jesus did not go to the people, but the people went to him.  All that came to mind as she was dictating was, “go yeah among the people.”   So, this morning I was thinking about how people seeking to find God in a world that they do not understand are often mislead.  Jesus was always going out to the people.   Yes people came to him as well, wherever he was.  
       In school we were once asked to read for homework aloud either Mathew, Mark, Luke or John.  We were assigned but I cannot remember which.  I do remember when reading aloud how Jesus was often angry at the religious leaders, who thought they knew so much.  Jesus was among the poor, the prostitutes and those considered unimportant.  If we recognized Jesus today living among us, what do we think, he would think?    
      I remember a physician once asking me quite sarcastically what Jesus would do, in a situation that was being discussed?   I answered that I was not Jesus and therefore would not know what he would do.  This physician was so surprised that he kept pacing back and forth after leaving the office and looking at me.  I wanted to speak to him about that, but I was still in a meeting and once I left, I did not see him again.  However, my statement made an impact on him even though I do not know why.

     When people tell me why they hate a certain religion, I ask why and though very surprised at the beginning of studies, I am no longer as surprised.  Yet when the Minister was telling me that I was wrong that people went out to the people, I remember one of my professors commenting, “If you want to know the bible, ask a Protestant, because they know their bible.”  I am looking forward to seeing him again.  I need an explanation.  Have I got it all wrong?  Was Jesus planted somewhere and all the people went to him at all times?  Can I possibly know more than a Minister who is supposed to know all this stuff?  Me, a layperson?    I never profess to know it all.  I actually believe that I know nothing.  There is so much to learn that I would have to live many life times to learn a fraction of what there is to learn.  What I have learned in studying the different religions is that sometimes I see this aura of arrogance in people who in my opinion should be there to help others and not condemned them.  We are not a melting pot with one religion.  We should be respecting all religions.  There are extremists that distort and make religion something to fear by acts of hatred.  There is no religion that professes hate.  In my opinion what people of all religions and their leadership should be  doing is trying to help people who come to them and they too should make an effort to reach out to others as Jesus did.  Kindness goes a long way.

      People should also see a Counsellor that they feel comfortable to see, may it be a woman, man or religious.  It is their choice.  It is no surprise to me that many cannot believe in God.  It is a surprise to me that some who do believe in God have the audacity to think that those who can not, make the believers superior.  You can have an atheist who is more concerned and considerate of others, than a religious person who gossips and is cruel to others.  
      All these thoughts came to me because one kind man beamed when he spoke to me of being Hindu and telling me about his faith.  This was a wonderful moment and quite contrary to listening to a minister telling me her views in such a condescending way.       


                 

No comments:

Post a Comment