Tuesday 28 January 2014

It takes guts to get help!

     I have been thinking this morning about the startling amount of suicides among young people, the media trying to do something good by destigmatizing mental health, and the people who have the courage to get help.

     The more different one is from another, the more the other is regarded as different, and therefore there can be friction by the one who has power.  We are not all the same.  We each have had a different life.  Some of us have had the blessing to be born to be surrounded by love.  Others first memory is that of terrifying abuse.  Children are not personal property.  Society has an obligation to protect them.

    Children who are bullied and demeaned at times grow up to do the same thing and the cycle therefore continues.  However, the cycle may be halted.  One person may make such an impact for a child or person to make a turn in his or her life.

     If I have learnt anything in my practicum and private practise is how much I admire people who go for care.   It takes such strength to examine one self.  It takes such courage to say enough is enough and I want to be my own person.  I have to admire that.  I was thinking about a canvas whose shape begins to form.  The artist allows you to peek at his or her soul.  If you see tragedy there, you can seek to understand.  If you are trusted, than you can see deeper and that is not always easy.  Ultimately, the portrait takes form with different colours, texture and a story is told.  To be trusted to share is a precious gift.  There is no judgement, no insistence that the artist is wrong.  As the artist begins to feel more comfortable she or he may become more relaxed and perhaps just view life a tiny bit differently and a new canvas is brought forth with hope and another road to emerge and discover.
     I do not understand "stigma."  Stigma perhaps may eventually change to omit survivors of chemical imbalances, abuse of any kind and just plain bad responses.   It is the person who puts others down to justify their own inadequacies and insecurities who should be held accountable.

     I am so fortunate to be able to welcome those who want help.  I am blessed each time I am trusted.  It is each person who steps up to help themselves who should be admired by society as I admire these people who have so much courage to help themselves.  I am the person receiving the gift each day.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment