Saturday 18 January 2014

Respect for American Vietnam Vets. Canada how about respect for our own?

     I was sent this video from a retiree who has forwarded it from within.  I am tired of hearing people constantly telling me at functions and reviews, their disdain for the military.  I have heard it in undergrad.  I have heard it in grad.  I have heard it in internships and I recently heard it one week ago.  I am never quite sure if it is directed as an insult or not.  At times there is no doubt.

     The person who sent me this email, reflected that a Canadian retiree accompanied two American veterans south of the border.  What he deduced was that the American Veteran Affairs treated their veterans with respect.

     As I read the email, I contemplated the insults that our veterans receive.  Their veteran affairs offices are closing up, they are turned away from Sunnybrook Hospital Veteran Ward, unless they have been in a world war (really?).  They return from war physically and emotionally hurt but they do not get the treatment they deserve unless they return dead. That is a lot cheaper. 

      Imagine a country with no soldiers, no police; no authority of control.  What would happen then?  
      
      I can understand people not liking something or other. However, how about a little bit of manners?  I know that "manners" is not taught in the education system.  Perhaps it should begin? How about looking beyond ourselves? 

      I am very motivated to begin group therapy for veterans.  I want to offer a space where veterans can share their experiences and their readaption to a society that may not have the tools, or insight, to be able to help them.

      One veteran who kills him or herself, is one veteran too many.  There is no shame in getting the help you need.  Integrating back into civilian society can be difficult.  Help is there. 

   

       
        
     












*http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=LemllfcAY8A&sns=em
<http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=LemllfcAY8A&sns=em>*

No comments:

Post a Comment