Friday 22 May 2015

Update on doing your own web site.....think about it. www.silvaredigonda.com

Well, it has again been a very busy week. I have found doing my web site a bit frustrating because I used an American firm and they have everything centered from the U.S.A. If I was living there it would be no trouble, but I am residing in Canada. As I mentioned, I will share my experiences so you do not repeat my mistakes. First use something you trust, which I have. I think that is the most important. I have used Go Daddy because our instructor recommended them when I took a course on how to design a web site. Our instructor used computer language which you do not need. So, if you do decide to take a course, make sure you don't need the computer lingo. I finally got my pictures uploaded without any difficulty so if at first you do not succeed - try again after a coffee break, milk break or what ever breaks you use. I would recommend using a web from your home land if you are mailing out. If you use American than every thing works as if you are there shipping out (unless you have freights) etc...So, what I did was go to Canada Post and the lady was very nice and patient with me at Shoppers Drug Mart. I should make little medals with a smiley face and give them out to people who really try hard to help you, which is not a given nowadays. So, I think I have everything set up to mail my books. I am taking a break from this for the rest of the week and maybe more due to other commitments. My advice to you is if you can afford it, hire someone trustworthy to do everything for you. It may just save you money on the long run, especially now that the Canadian dollar is suffering compared to our neighbours. So, if you have any problems or concerns about my web site please let me know. There is a form for you to use. I did the best I could with what I learned. Even Go Daddy could not help me with shipping. I wanted to use Canada Post. Even UPS was focused from State side and not my side, nor did they call me when I filled that portion out. I was not too pleased but I have learned from this so you don't have to. The ebook is probably the cheapest method, but I understand wanting hard copies. I still have to play around a bit. I also have to fix the photos. I need to make adjustments to enlarge it for you so you can read what it says. But work is coming to a close and fun is ready to begin. I will be selling both my books at the Oakwood fest 20 Jun 15, at Oakwood and Rogers near the bakery or CIBC bank. So, if you want an autographed copy come by. This reminds me that I should reach out to book clubs, reading places etc but I have to put that on my to do list. This weekend is Doors Open and it is great to go see museums etc...which would normally cost a pretty penny to get in. In case you do not know the libraries have passes to go to different museums/historical sites, art gallery etc...I understand that each library has different passes so this is an option for you to explore, especially if you have big families. Have a nice weekend. Why not spend some time this weekend with someone you really like and want to catch up with. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment