Thursday 4 September 2014

One Wedding and a Funeral during the long weekend, at 4 different locations outside Toronto

I expected the wedding and was prepared for that, but I was not prepared for the death of a favourite cousin. I have two older cousins, both male who live in Montreal. As soon as my train entered Montreal, I fell in love with the city (minus the annoying graffiti. After more than four hours sitting, and after settling down, I walked the five mile hike to the funeral home where I met my cousin and the rest of my family. After celebrating a joyous wedding, I was preparing to celebrate the life of my cousin which came to a tragic end. He is a great loss to me, but the grief his brother is feeling, comes from a life time of love and closeness. They were never separated and they never married. What has always amazed me is the power of having such close friends who they definitely have. It had been too many years since I have been to visit and my sick cousin had not been too happy with me. He wanted me there for a month. I could not take the time, with school and work and most of all, I cannot leave my pets. They are my responsibility and I take responsibility very seriously. However, I did not realize how sick my cousin really was. I had no idea he was dying. I was never informed. Trying to order flowers for the funeral turned out to not be as easy as I had thought. I received a call the next morning to be informed that the flowers could not be delivered due to it being a holiday? Really? I didn't want to waste any more time and called the Montreal funeral home. The staff there were so kind and told me who they use. I ordered from, "What a Bloom" and I was not disappointed. I rescued two animals who were going to be put down because they were ferral. A neighbour and I had cleaned up the neighbourhood with the ferrals. All were adopted but three. I stopped donating to the organizations that were going to put them down, and I took the responsibility of adopting them. One died within a year. She had been such a sweet little thing. They love me and I love them, however they do not like people in general since they have experienced abuse. Therefore, I can not leave them with anyone, nor can I have others come in with out me there. I have had many wonderful people volunteer. So, it had been quite a while since I spent a night anywhere. With three bowls of water, four plates of dry food and two of wet, I knew these hungry beasts would be ok with food. I said so to a dear neighbour who just lost one of her dogs to cancer. I went to the train station and sat and relaxed in the lounge. There is no better way to travel. Being in Montreal and seeing family and old friends was wonderful. My cousin has had a great life. The both of them always treated me like royalty whenever I had come to visit. I was catered to and never lifted a finger. My cousin smiled when he saw me and his face lit up. I stood by his side during the entire time. I even contemplated moving to Montreal and though I was always being informed that I could have a career there without being able to speak the French language, I am hesitant. I never make rash decisions. I offered that my cousin can come to me and I will take care of him. However Montreal is tempting. I love the warmth of the people and the joy of living. It has a European flair that I enjoy. However, my first language is English and I would never want that to be a problem in keeping people away from getting help. I left my cousin who was getting a much needed nap without waking him. He was exhausted. I returned to the Montreal Station and returned to Toronto by rail. I was so surprised by the good food and fine service. I will continue to enjoy this service and make the effort to visit Montreal more often, even if it can only be for overnight. I am typing this in my back yard with my pets frolicking, the birds chirping and the trees engulfing me and keeping me cool. I have a happy life. I am doing exactly what I want. I have no regrets. How do you deal with grief? Are you happy with your life? Do you surround yourself with people who care for you as much as you care for them? How do you deal with responsibility? What would you do, if you could? Why are you not doing it? Are you living the life you want, or are you living the life others expect from you? Do you have someone you can trust in your life. Life is about choice, unless you are of course living under duress in certain countries. Life is very short and you have an obligation to yourself to live the life you want. Find a way to find that life, find a way to find yourself. Why not make changes to your life today? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment