Friday 22 August 2014

New web site needs to wait until College is up and running - The College of Psychotherapy

I read that it is worse to have a web site that is not up to date, than not to have one at all. Once I have an up to date one, I will find out for myself. However, it seems to make sense to me. However, I have decided to wait until the College is set up and running. When I was in my undergrad psychology program, we were informed that anyone could put up a shingle and provide therapy as long as they did not refer to their clients as patients. As students we were horrified. We could not believe that this was not regulated. This is finally changing and I am very happy that it is. Not everyone is as happy as I am. Why? Again, if I had my way every business dealing with the care of others would be regulated. Heck, any business should be regulated. Think of how many scams could be controlled and the public protected. We live in a world that is constantly changing and we need to change with it. So, I have decided to wait until everything is sorted out and then there should be no other changes for me. However, after the College is here, I will re-examine how many associations I belong to and perhaps drop one. If you are looking for a therapist, ask for their qualifications. You should be able to see the certificates on the wall. You are paying them to help you so ensure that the person you are seeing has sufficient education related to what you need. I still remember when I began my studies, asking therapists about their qualifications. I was horrified. Some had no training what so ever and only a Bachelar of Arts etc... This is all changing and it is for your protection. Get the help you need. Find someone you can relate to and feel comfortable with. There is no shame in seeking help. It is only a shame when you don't. Start getting atune to your feelings. Why are you angry, sad or happy. What is happening? Why do you feel the way you do? Have you given up? Why? Where do you find peace? How often do you go there? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment