Tuesday 23 September 2014

Word on the Street was fun

Sunday was a beautiful day though it started a bit rough. First, I slept in, when I rarely do and my pets did not wake me. My boy is quite angry at me and shows his disproval by not cuddling with me, letting me kiss him nor waking me up, which is his job. It was pouring rain when I rushed out - so much for my hair. Traffic is good early morning but could I find parking? Of course not. The hospital parking was closed for the weekend. That is a first. So, I ended up detouring via the construction to my old campus parking lot. Of course they are trying to save money so I had to go to the building a block away to get my parking pass for the day. I had already dropped off my books by then to find my table and chair soaking wet. I decided I was starting to get a tad stressed so I did some therapy on my self and took time out. I went to Tim Hortons because it was the closest. I had driven by Starbucks on Bay and Cumberland but there was no parking and I didn't want to leave my car for a moment, just in case. I walked to Tim's in the rain, while my decrepit umbrella, ready for burial tried to do it's job of protecting me. Of course there was a barrier in front of the entrance door, but I found another and inside, I placed my order, received it and sat down to take time out. It looked like a med team did the same thing. We were all looking at each other politely and looking away politely. I ate my hash brown and biscuit with egg and cheese and sipped longingly on my coffee. Tims never tasted so good. I went to my booth which was on the wrong side of what I had hoped it would be and my day started. The rain departed and the sun shone. How nice. My neighbours were wonderful and we all shared stories and ideas. One took pictures of me and my booth. He just sent them to me this morning. Now I have to figure out how to decrease the size. I am looking a bit rough. Is it the new colour? Is it the rough start? Is it just me? My one and only fan came once again and I was probably more disappointed than my fan that I did not have my second book ready. I said my editor was on page 25 and the book would be ready for next year. Another came around to tell me he had bought my book and let me know that it was expected that I have my second ready for sale next year. Talk about pressure. He thought my book was funny. What a healthy guy! All in all, it was a fun day. It is nice being around people who love books. One author wanted to trade books with me and I was rather pleased that hers was more expensive. Her book "Theft by Chocolate" by Luba Lesychyn had caught my eye. She said, she had worked at the ROM for 20 years and her book is inspired by an actual heist. I had my eye on the cover and was pleased by the trade. My other neighbour, "Edna's pickle", a husband and wife team was a real delight. She provided me with the history of her homeland, GOA. She was selling a variety of things and I took an instant warm liking to her and her husband. He would go to the busy areas and bring people to us. This week I have an all day conference in Brampton. I do hope my car can make it there. I shall let you know if I learn anything that I think is useful for you. Take those breaks, to refocus and re-energize. Find something you love to do. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment