Thursday 22 November 2012

A day at York University selling "Hey Guy Buy Me"

     Once a year I go to York University to sell my “Hey Guy Buy Me.”  There I socialize throughout the day as people I know approach me and we catch up.  It is always a great feeling re-uniting.  York has a strong sense of community.  I love my college at the University of Toronto as well.  But it is very different.   I find it more serious, more conservative and more in contrast with the emotional, free spirit atmosphere of York.  I suppose in a way I miss the excitement of  unreserved freedom of emotions regardless of  how it comes across.     This year I had a table beside an author who has already published 15 books and who was giving books out for free, courtesy of her publisher.  I found this to be the same at Queen’s Park this year as well.  Publishers give out books for free which makes it harder for people to pay 9.95 for a book, half the size.  What do people care if there are cute cartoons and the print is on excellent paper?  What do I know about paper?  I just want to write.  Anyhow, I did sell some books and mega author told me that I did great.  I think so too considering I had to tell people that I could not give my books away for free.  Mega author did provide me with a wealth of information throughout the day.  I noticed that she was doing the same for everyone approaching her, aspiring to be writers.  I thought that wonderful, because I found that my learning has been a work in progress.  I did not find that same enthusiasm of other writers helping me out.  I was so lame that I did not even realize there were different publishers for different type of stories.  I know now.  Hard knoxs!  Oh well.  Learning is always a work in progress.  I just have to pay a bit more attention to the business side of the house.  I love to write and I love to help people.  In my undergrad at York, psychology was mainly multiple choice.  You had to work quickly because at times there were over a hundred questions.  I think York has one of the best psychology departments.  You have to know your stuff.  During the first portion of the classes we would have a massive group and after the first exam, we would surely have less than half.  Sometimes there were even less than that.  And I learned so much there that it became integrated in all I do.  I found grad school and my other programs less intense.  But that is how it is in general I understand.
     So for you wanna bees writers out there, pick up a pen or keypad and start.  I overheard my mega writer beside me quote that only one percent of people who want to write, actually publish.  I thought how sad that was.  What stops people to pursue their dreams?
     If you want to write, please do so because it is rewarding and go ahead and send your writings to the appropriate publishers.  You can find all that on the world of the web.  Life is so short that we should never allow our feelings that we may not be good enough get in the way.  That is what I was overhearing.  Aren’t I nosy?  Follow your dreams if you have them and start to dream if you have not begun.  I have a little plaque on my wall nearby which has a scene of a person on a wooden ledge protruding from an enclosure of beautiful trees.  You can see the water below in a mist.  There are words inscribed, “Everything wonderful begins with a dream.”   What is your dream?  Are you living your dream?  Why not?  What is keeping you from reaching your dream?  Why not begin today and start with baby steps to get you where you want to go?  What do you think?    
   For my American neighbours have a nice Thanksgiving day  I saw Obama on the news saving two turkeys.  How cute!
     You may buy my book at Book City on Yonge Street at St Clair and in the Annex.  You may also get one at a cute little bakery shop on Dufferin Street adjacent to Fair Banks Park between St Clair and Eglinton.   Chapters at Yonge and St Clair should still have some.  Or, you can send me a cheque in Canadian or American funds, and I will mail it out to you.  Or, you can wait til my web site is running properly or you can check ebay or……….Am I boring you yet?      

No comments:

Post a Comment