Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 May 2024

We need to protect the Jews. Never again……….

I have been trying very hard not to talk about this topic, but by not talking we may become complicit. Due to the rise in anti-semitism in Toronto, which I find shameful, I need to speak and to speak loudly. Never again! What prompted me? I was reading an article which is not up to me to share but I will quote this, “I never heard an Anti-Semitic slur ——-in 43 years.” It broke my heart. This person said much more about how Jews are now afraid to go to school, in my beautiful city. I know I complain about my town all the time. But it is mine. I want it to be better. I love my town. Aside from my travels and work I have always been here since my parents brought me here when I was one year and a half years old. Yes, I will probably move to Niagara Falls but that has always been the plan though I prefer New York City and/or Disney World. I realize I have worked hard all my life, getting my first pay check when I was 13 years old which taught me independence. I am still working and wonder if I would be able to retire due to the economy. Seniors are now living in the streets. There are struggles never seen before and this has now reached our Jewish community. Where did we go wrong, because this is very wrong. When I was in elementary school, we learned about the killing of six million Jews. We learned about slavery. We learned that this was wrong. When I was a life guard as a teen we learned that “whomever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man.” I would go home and I was fortunate that my mother was able to explain further to me the complexities of human nature. Then I joined the Military Police and spent four years in Europe and six months in the Middle East of those 20 years and learned more about the complexities. I returned to school and majored in psychology until I did finally understand how and why, and how to help people heal, which continued into my Masters where I studied under the Jesuits. That was not enough and so I attended the Toronto School of Theology and learned more and more and more. My life has been helping people by providing them with a sense of justice and later by helping them heal. I have helped people of all religions, colour and cultures. I have continued learning by those who have reached out to me for help. My life has been enhanced by my work and love for the people - all people. A Priest friend of mine whom I met and served with in the military told me that he had had been rejected from going to Sunnybrook Veteran Hospital when he developed ALS, because he was not a world war veteran. You see his medals included serving in the Gulf War which was not enough. I cannot forgive that. He said to me, “You know Silva, we learned from the military that we should live with the people.” He did not want to be with his peers, he wanted to be with the people. As I reflect, I have been so fortunate to have been surrounded by such inspiring loving intellectuals - all men. I have been blessed so much. When Hamas attacked and killed, it was the beginning of a war. When I called out Hamas as the Terrorists and not Jews as I was asked, on Facebook, there was a barrage of verbal hatred spewing of the most venomous acts towards me. I know that I was safe here in Canada but it didn’t feel that way. Of course I reported it to Facebook. This was apparently an American who had led me to believe what he wasn’t. I do not accept invites from people I do not know and this is why. If I haven’t actually met you, sorry….not…This is the world we live in today. I knew Israel would retaliate. Hamas knew as well and they hid in hospitals, in tunnels, where children were being the cowards and terrorists they are. But do they have the intellect? Who is pulling the strings? Who is behind all this? Who is at work? Do I like what is happening in the Middle East? Of course not. I deplore war. I detest that so many children and woman and other innocents have died and are suffering. I believe in freedom, but what is happening here in Toronto is not freedom. It is not freedom when Jews do not feel safe going to school. It is not freedom when art work releases smoke of hate. It is not freedom when shots are fired at a Hebrew elementary school. Yesterday, I watched the news and American Lawyers who are Jews have come to Toronto to support our youth. They will be suing schools not doing enough to protect them and I am so glad. It is about time, something is being done and it does not surprise me that it is coming from the States. Again on the news about a week ago, a woman was protesting at Parliament Hill and I was startled when she said she wanted to leave Canada because we support the Jews. She said she had been living here for 25 years. I had to wonder why did she come to Canada? Was it to escape? Was it to have a better life? The reason to leave is because we support the Jews? It pained me to see a physics professor at the University of Toronto upset because as a Jew he was feeling victimized. Hate of any kind has no place here in Toronto. Regardless, of religious beliefs, political beliefs etc….we should all feel safe. That is changing. We are failing, but we still have time. Every student should feel safe at school. There should be no tolerance for any kind of hate. We cannot have staff and professors, TA’s or assistant professors intimidating students. Students need to feel heard regardless of their religion. They need to feel safe, while they are learning. We need some very strong leadership to deal with this mess and it is time for people out there to start voting. Do you want to vote for someone who is kicked out of Parliament like the NDP Jill was in my riding? We need politicians who can protect all people; who represent all people. No Canadian should ever feel that they don’t belong anymore. Get out there and vote! No, politicians are not all the same. Stop complaining and actually do something, even if it is voting. While some politicians are suitable for a board meeting, it involves another class to take a strong leadership role and upgrade the laws which are failing us. People have struggled to be able to vote. What has surprised me is that in all of this mess there has not been the same vigorous outcry to release the hostages. What are you waiting for Hamas? Let’s stop this war and don’t you dare bring it to my home.

3 comments: