Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 May 2024

The Pathways from Childhood sexual abuse to substance abuse etc….Ohio State University. Speaker UWE Wernerk, NCK. MSc, MSW, LSW (from men’s conference)

In the USA people who deal with addictions are in recovery themselves (this is common in Canada as well). He wants to ensure he has no history of this. In the USA it is easy to be an addictions counsellor (40 hours only education). (I believe we have certificate training as well). Numerous male clients disclosed history of severe childhood sexual abuse (SCA) leading to substance abuse. Thematic Analysis: Anger mediates the relationship. The more anger, more is at risk. Negative cognitions about self will mediate. Alcohol is used to deal with cognitive intrusions. Avoidance behaviours increased odds of drinking. Tendency to dissociate increases odds of alcohol use. PTSD mediates relationship. Not all drink but when one has sexual abuse and PTSD the chances increases. Men use substances to deal with psychological suffering associated with Child sexual abuse. It brings upon more problems. Of his research of 24 people (he described his research) all we know of the culprits was an uncle, and a priest. Sexual Abuse was slow movement. Enjoyed it too which caused (guilt). How do you get pleasure? (In my own practice this is something I always explain. Children are sexual beings as we all are. The sexual predators know that and use it to their advantage. This needs to be explained to those who have been abused. Telling them it is not their fault is not enough.) How do you say such a thing about an uncle? Unfortunately, this year I will have to miss the men's conference because it is being held during the same time that I have booked to be at Word on The Street to sell my books. I also have to miss the American Association of Family Therapy because they are going live and I can't leave Mr Attitude. I love the States and will start venturing again when Mr Attitude is no longer among the living. How old does a cat get? He is 21 with full time attitude unless he is eating/sleeping or sitting on me; near me. Last week I attended the York U webinar that I posted and will check to see if they have the video the I can post here. Last week I also attended "The Application of Somatic Interventions in Clinical Practice; Attachment, Trauma, Neurobiology, and the Body. That provided me with 5 hours of continuing education hours. It was presented by Kathy Steele, MN, CS, APRN. It was meant for therapists and we were asked not to share. I already use some of the techniques but not as intensely as in the lecture, but I may begin to use more in my practice. Refresher is always good. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment