Friday 3 March 2023

One final tid bit regarding suicide idealation

Last Saturday I attended a few hours meeting with a group of my alumni peers. I thought it was very interesting when one therapist reported that farmers have four more times the rate of suicide idealation. I thought that this was one important statistic which was missed in the last lecture. However, in all fairness, I believe this is new. The Association for Farmers (I am sure I am not saying this correctly) is organizing to pay for therapy for the farming community which would include vetinarians etc... The only time I reported farming was when I attended a series of lectures at Guelph University. If you check back to that period in my blogs, you will read a piece about how technology is changing for farmers. But there is much more. It appears Corporations are making most of the money and the farmer is at the low end, though in my opinion most important. Their income is not secure and with global warming of course this will in combination with uncertainities contribute to their stress. Another point that was raised is how some suffer because their children don't want to continue with the family business. I love farmers markets and do my best to attend them for selfish reasons. I love fresh produce. However, I also will choose free range eggs from marked local farming communities or other foods rather than from Corporations whenever possible. Something to think about. I wish you all a nice weekend. Here in Toronto we are expecting the worse storm of the season I believe is coming up from Texas. Did I hear that wrong? Anyhow, as long as the electricity and gas stays on I'm good. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment