Friday 17 March 2023

Weekly Thoughts - blah Home Show; Word On the Street - Skipping this year in all probability

It has been one of those weeks. One day it is a snow storm and the next it is sunny and of course it takes my breath away. I am sick of winter which seems to drag on mercilessly. I think I prefer cold, cold cold without the ups and downs but of course with global warming this will only continue mercilessly. I did go to the Home Show and found it was very slow without the usual booths I was looking for. Michael Pape Art Inc was there and I enjoyed talking to the Artist. His work is amazing and his love for wild life is amazing. However, I cannot afford his work and I really don't have any more space on my walls at the moment. I did buy a 50. T shirt, but funds go to support the wild life. I did find starbucks coffee and I had a delicious bagel with salmon, pimentos and the works. But, there were no flowers in bloom which I was really looking forward to. The information booth person told me that people don't want to work. I kind of find that hard to believe. Forever the skeptic. Regarding Word on the Street, I have been going every year it was open since I wrote Hey Guy Buy Me. But this year the price is crazy. I would have to take the full two days, rather than one which would cost $850.00. for just a small booth which would be half the size I had last year. The price has gotten c-r-a-z-y. I have a few faithful fans each year and I thank you so much. I haven't published my last book yet which I had been hoping to but I am doing things differently this year. I have joined different writing associations and Authors are amazing people. They share and provide tips and so I am learning more as times goes on regarding the business side of the house. I have not accepted any offers I have received because I think I can do better. However, I have not sent out as many as I should. So I am trying to focus on doing that, but I must admit I am not really interested in that part. I love to write stories but I have come to realize that there is a business side of the house. Publishers seem to being doing less and wanting more and authors are beginning to notice. Stephen King thank you for speaking out on behalf of all of us. York University Retirees are considering having an authors day and I will certainly go to that if they have it. I belong to the Sisters of Crime and if they get a booth at Word on the Street, I will certainly go and it would be free for me. I haven't been an active participant due to other obligations. It is all a work in progress as I learn and share. I want to thank all the people who have bought my books and ebooks directly from me. I appreciate it. I love meeting people at book signing opportunities and when they return I am completely in awe of the support. For now, another week has sped by and I am having difficulty using the brakes. There is so much to do in one lifetime. Have a good weekend. I am also trying to spend as much as possible with Mr Attitude because he seems to need me more, now that Holy Terror is in heaven. Just the other day I found a statue of a cat with wings at HOme Sense. It was made in China but I did it anyway. I will bring it outside in the Spring and place it near flowers. www.silvaredigonda.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment