Monday 20 June 2022

Word On The Street was a success!

Word On The Street was a success. I sold more books than ever. It was also exciting seeing familiar faces returning and new bushy tails approaching as well. We were back at Queens Park and though two days are rather long, it was worth it. During my first day, I was surprised at how many books I sold because there were 200 authors. I wasn’t sure if it was the location, my sunny disposition, or merely the sun welcoming all book enthusiasts back. During my second day it was more like other events which again matched the weather, but not with the abundance of rain that had been forecasted. I was asked if I had a newsletter and then it hit me. I am not up to date with what I should be doing as a writer. I recently read from a book where the author has a movie series that writing is the easy part and then there is the business side of the house. She thanked her agents and publishers etc……..I have completed writing my fourth book and I need to get it out by next year. That is the business side of the house. I need to contemplate if I should seriously consider having an agent, a traditional publisher or continue in my comfort zone with self-publishing which provides me with all my rights to my work but also suffers at the selling portion because aside from writing my blogs which I scatter here and there I am also conscious that I do not do enough. Joining Sisters of Crime has really opened my eyes to the business side of the house which also includes an abundance of scams. Writers are very generous with sharing information. It’s great company to be among people who wish others success and want to help them get it. Virginia Woolf said that to write you need a room of your own. I don’t remember her saying anything about the business portion. COVID hit us hard and I could see it with the general public. They have and some are still suffering. I am already thinking of my next book after this one. I want to keep thinking until this one is finalized, because I don’t want to disturb the flow. I still have one in the making in memory of a friend of mine who died from cancer and wanted me to write about two older women in a comic murder mystery. I am not there in my mindset. I have to get a bit older and perhaps after the next book, I shall finally do her justice. When someone is dying and they ask you to write something, well you simply do it but I want to also do it justice, so Anne Marie Mair please be patient with me. I shall write it in your memory. I have met so many aspiring writers and my advice is always the same. Write…….just write and keep writing. Don’t stop, go to jail or otherwise…..just keep writing. I shall begin to share the writing portion as well as I learn it. As I figure it out, I shall share. After all are not many of us diamonds in the rough? For every person who has bought any of my books, I wish to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment