Thursday 3 October 2013

Health Benefits------Did I mention I am with FSNA? I kind of volunteer

On Guard is the National Association of Federal Retirees Newsletters. This Association is open to all retired Federal employees (including the military, RCMP and Judges). I have belonged to it for quite a few years since I retired the first time. I remember my first day clearly. I told them I had retired. A group of elderly men huddled in a group and eyed me suspiciously. I understood their background and understood their suspicions. The leader of the group, approached me and asked for ID - for proof of who I was. I offered it willingly amused that they thought I was too young to retire. I had the same reaction from the OHIP people. I had the same reaction from some people I encountered. I was not always amused because I considered my self quite mature. Since, I have been asked to volunteer quite a few times. I always say no to volunteering. That was instilled in my first occupation - never volunteer. You must read book two for more info on that. It is not finished. Anyhow, I eventually did volunteer because I believe in giving back. I also felt guilty saying no since others so much older than myself were starting to die. This association like so many depend on volunteers to make it work. We are 185,000 members according to the last On Guard quarterly, volume 51 No. 3 Fall 2013. I am an assistant Health Benefits Officer for Toronto (what is the abbreviation for assistant?). I sometimes get a call and it is quite simple. But this time I got a call and spent two days working on it. I shall share it with you all because this concerns you all. Physiotherapy is no longer covered by OHIP. However, Physiotherapy is publically funded. In the past, remote areas outside of Toronto did not have the same resources that we enjoy here. Now resources will expand. Regarding Physiotherapy, there are publically funded clinics which are provided with "episodes of care". Each episode is $312.00 worth of care. So one publically funded clinic may have 100 episodes of care and another at another amount. There is a site which provides clinics publically funded. www.ontario.ca/physiotherapy. This list will be expanding. You do need to be over 65 years of age to qualify for this. There are and will be other public funded assistance such as exercise (for injuries, etc..as an example) and clinics will share this. There are questions and Answers being prepared by the government at this moment. There is also a Senior Information Line - 1-888-910-1999. Keep in mind that I was going in circles for a few days and finally I got the right information from our government. Now I understand the confusion. It is new and the rules are not written out for everyone. This will come. It is important for all people to know what care is afforded to them. In this situation, I was looking into a request for someone over 65. I thought I would share this with you because it applies to all. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment