Friday 11 October 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

This is a time of celebrating what we have. It is a North American tradition. The States celebrates on a different day. I stopped eating meat when I saw a neighbour kill a rabbit which quite affected me and so what I once feasted on has changed. I no longer eat animals. Most of my closest family and friends have died and so my celebration with my definition of family has also changed. I have always dreamed of having a huge family because my friends who did have big families partied hard and I always loved parties and still do. What I celebrate now is what I have accomplished, who my closest friends are and my immediate family in my own home. I celebrate life. I celebrate that Canada is my home. I honour her and love her. I celebrate the sacrifices that people make to help us live in such a beautiful country so "glorious and free." I celebrate our standard of living, keeping in mind that we are so better off than many in the rest of the world. I celebrate my freedom of having a voice and not be hindered to succeed because I am a woman. When people came to North America, they came with the hope and desires for a better life and I know that my parents got that for themselves. As babies or children we need to go where our parents take us and where we are born, is not our decision. As adults we sometimes have a choice. As I watch the news and hear how many people die trying to escape their countries, there is an awareness that I can never take freedom for granted. Where ever you are today, why not ask yourself, what you can celebrate? It may be just being alive and that is indeed something to celebrate! Take a look at your life. Who is your family? Are you happy? Are you happy with what life style you have? Are you happy in your chosen career? Are you happy in the country that you have either chosen to live in or are forced to live in? Do you feel free to be yourself and accomplish what you want to accomplish? Are you proud of your country? Are you proud of your accomplishments or where you are headed to? I always say that we cannot change others. We can only change ourselves. You cannot live to fulfill the dreams of others. You cannot be there to meet the standards of what others may want from you. That may be appropriate in the work force, but it is a strain within those closest to you. Why not take the time this Thanksgiving weekend, to examine your life. Take 15 minutes and write down what you are struggling with and then write down what you are thankful for. Where do you find that you had to think the hardest about? What was easier for you to write down? Why? Are you sad? Why? What would make you less sad and even more what would make you happier? I want to thank everyone in my life who has enhanced it. I want to thank my country for having me. I want to thank God and country for all I have. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, turkey or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment