Thursday 17 October 2013

Why not try to be kind to others?

Today was an interesting day. I took a day off and continued to read what I have written in book two, editing it and noticing big chunks removed. How did that happen? Then I was off and running to a huge department store. While there, I heard an older couple chastise a poor salesman. The woman was loud and demeaning. She spoke in broken English, with a thick European accent. Her partner filled in the gaps, in their attempts to humiliate the worker, simply because he could not provide them with the product they wanted. As I continued to walk, I saw who they had demeaned. He was a student, with special needs. He stood frozen in shock. I asked him if they had hurt his feelings and he said a little. I could see his turmoil, from within, and my heart ached for him. He asked me something I was unprepared for. He asked me if all people were like that? I replied, some are, but that he should feel sorry for them. It had to do with them. I tried to comfort him, and placed my hand on his shoulder for some human contact. After trying to comfort him for a while, I left him. I was boiling mad at the old couple who had been so mean, to this young person. I knew that this couple did not have the insight that they had hurt a person with special needs. Nor, did they have the insight to know, to what degree they had. As I walked away, the student continued to stare at me, standing firm where he had first been approached by the couple, still frozen in time. Have you ever been angry with a salesperson where you went too far? What made you lose your temper? What is it really about? How do you think he or she felt? How do you treat people? How are you treated by people? As I was driving home from a day of getting all I need and stopping at Home Depot, I saw a covered red scooter on the road, attempting to climb the sidewalk. I anticipated the vehicle tilting and falling to its side and it did. I stopped my car, behind another which had stopped and suddenly there were three of us ready to help the elderly man. I did my 911 call, while the two men, helped the old man out. He insisted that he did not want emergency services. The two men, lifted the vehicle upright and the elderly man kept thanking me in the Italian language. I didn't quite know why because I did none of the lifting or dragging. I just spoke on the phone and observed. That did not last long and suddenly I found myself continuing home. As I drove, I wondered if I would find so much excitement in the country. I stopped to buy a lottery ticket and told the man behind the counter that if I won the fifty million, I would go up North for a while. "Take me with you!" He exclaimed. "No, I am taking my pets." I replied without hesitation. Though I spent no time in my office today, I did do a lot of work for it as well. I need a small sofa, and that will eventually come. I want people to be comfortable, to relax from the cares of the world. It is all a work in progress. I always admire companies that hire and intern people with special needs. Each of us need to feel valued and productive and often that is found in the work that we do. No one deserves to be treated poorly at work. This weekend, why not be nice to someone you do not know. Be kind, to someone you do not know. And while you are at it, why not be kind to someone you do know.

No comments:

Post a Comment