Wednesday 30 October 2013

Hallowe'en, conferences and balancing life

Give me a reason to celebrate and I shall. I really like Hallowe'en. I used to get all dressed up myself with different type of costumes, I found in my own wardrobe. When I bought a "scream mask" I thought it was really cool, until one Hallowe'en night when I opened the door, I sent a young woman screaming and running away as fast as she could run. I thought she would have been prepared and not as terrified as she was, so I placed the mask on an outside pole, knowing someone would steal it. I also hung a stuffed fake man on my tree until I realized that was too scary as well. So I decided to just wear some fake blood on my face and that was not too bad, until I saw how visibly shaken a neighbour was when she thought I had been injured. So no more blood, no more gore, no more scary, scary, house. Now I just use my own face and if it scares anyone, it cannot be helped. Last year I had over one hundred kids and teens drop by and a few adults. I even gave out a treat to a doggy who was all dressed up. I don't give out apples, or anything else that is not wrapped. I remember my own mom cutting and peeling the apples I brought home when I was younger, checking for razar blades. There are always those on Hallowe'en who are more scary and cruel and mean, than any mask or fake anything else, that superficially frightens. For those, I wish that for one night they behave and leave the children and animals alone. Get some real help or lock yourself up. Why not go to the police station and talk to them about what you are up to? How nice if it could be that easy. Anyhow, back to the good stuff. I was raised in Toronto and Hallowe'en has always been part of the culture. I look at it as just clean fun. So I make sure that I bought plenty of stuff that I could give out, to ensure that I would not run out. I always buy what I like as well so that if I have anything left over, I eat it. I can no longer go out to trick or treat and if it was acceptable for adults, I would be out there. That is why I always give out treats, to anyone of any age. You don't want to know how old I was when I finally stopped going out with friends trick or treating. Now my home is kid friendly. I also keep the pumpkin intact so I can recycle it to the neighour who uses it to make pumpkin pie, something I could never get into no matter how much whip cream is on top. I bought more chocolate because I was dipping into the Hallowe'en kids stock. I have a two day seminar to attend which I am looking forward to. I shall miss the wine and cheese afterwards because I have to drive and I am not staying overnight as others are. I also have to deliver papers etc... for my own step process. In there, I shall take time for fun, even though I consider it all fun. That is the beauty of doing what you love. Have a wonderful Hallowe'en!!!!! Keep safe!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment