Thursday 29 June 2023

For Love of Country - Military Policewoman For your own ebook or book, order on line from me at www.silvaredigonda.ca

The following morning, we were rushed out of bed by our senior course leader. She was one of us, a new recruit, and had been appointed our leader for the day. This was to become a ritual, to give us the opportunity to demonstrate our leadership abilities. I soon learned that food would taste better after missing several meals. The day was spent compiling a will. I named my father executor and chose Rose as an alternate should anything happen to my father. (Rose chose me to do the same.) The day would not be complete before receiving our vaccinations. The side effect was exhaustion. Other women suffered headaches, and some felt so ill they were sent to the hospital. The feeling that I had been here a month rather than three days began to weigh. That night I slept soundly. The next morning I received a letter from my mom and Sam. These letters would become an important event in our daily lives away from home. In class we learned about the military rank structure. We were all at the bottom – privates. After four years as a private, the rank of Corporal is attained. After that the structure continues by promotion: Master Corporal, Sergeant, Warrant Officer, Master Warrant Officer and Chief Warrant Officer. Then there are the Commissioned Officers: a cadet parallels us. This is followed by Lieutenant and Captain (parallel to Corporal), Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, and General. There are also four levels of generals. The day was mostly spent marching. We also viewed a film about drugs and their effects. At one point we gathered in the auditorium where we were welcomed and informed that we had been selected from a vast group of potential recruits across Canada because it was believed we were the best. Here that would be proven or disproven. This was the first day that I did not feel tired since arriving in Cornwallis. The following day we received our “kit,” which consisted of more uniforms and other military accessories. The entire day was spent on fitting and refitting into standard sizes. In between we were taught how to shine shoes and sew. I had to sew a name tag to my housecoat and after three attempts, I was informed to try harder in the future. We were told to ask when we did not understand anything. When someone did ask for any clarification, they were treated as if they were stupid and informed that the thinking could not all be done for them. Excerpt From: Silva Redigonda. “For love of country : military policewoman.
www.silvaredigonda.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment