Monday 19 June 2023

Italian Festival not like it used to be - but you know what? That's ok.

Someone asked me if I was going to the Italian festival and I said no. Then I was asked why not? I said there were too many Italians. Is that how I felt? Of course not. Then I was asked aren't I Italian? I said half. Then I got more and more and more questions. At the spur of the moment after visiting my dad on Father's day, I decided I would go. The real reason I was not going to go is that parking is becoming a big issue, I do not take the TTC and well College is a place I usually drive by. They were also expecting 500,000 people during the weekend and the noise. HOwever, I found parking right at the site for $20.00. I told the man I wasn't going to be more than several hours and of course he said I could stay til 2am, I still had to pay $20.00. We are all funny in Toronto. The parking lot is actually a pay for parking meter but of course they put a man in a booth to get more than what we would normally pay. One guy told me he paid $4.00 so that had been a motivator. Oh well. It was right adjacent to the street and a better parking fee than what I normally have to pay elsewhere. And a bonus was that I didn't need a smart phone since my stupid phone is still working for me. Sorry phone, I don't think you are stupid at all. I had debated where I would go Sunday because as always our city has lots of venues. But, it was an Italian festival and my dad is Italian and so to feel close to him, I went on Father's Day. You see my visit with my dad was at the cemetery. Toronto is mulicultural and so was the Italian festival. I stopped at the Riviera for an espresso (single) and croissant for $5.00. I asked the server to heat the crossant and she told me that it was just made and was still warm. What can I say? It was the best croissant I ever had in my life and I have had many. It just melted in my mouth. Next I walk along the street and hear all kinds of music. It wasn't really Italian music but I can never complain about listening to Pit Bull. I saw a lot of dessert ( I forget what it is called)from South America. I tried it once but it didn't work for me. The pastry was too sweet and more like an old fashion donut which is not for me. However they were selling them everywhere so they must be popular. I found myself in front of the CHIN building and was surprised it was still there. That used to be very popular among the Italian people. Right in front is a place called Rudy. It is now some time since I had my breakfast and so it was lunch time. I might also get some Italian music. I walk into Rudy's which is my maternal grandfather's name and ask if they have anything without meat being served. Nope, so I am walking out when they tell me there is Poutine. I return. "Isn't the gravy made from meat?" I ask, as if they are trying to trick me. Nope the gravy is all vegetarian. They go into details into the production which is Greek to me. Why not? "Small or large?" I'm asked. I take the small with water which costs $11.28. I sit out in the patio and have a taste. Wow. Soooooooo good. I can't believe I never tried this before. I take my time eating the poutine with gusto, sitting across CHIN which reminds me of my Italian dad and on Rudy's patio seating which of course reminds me of my Swiss maternal grandfather who though I never met, I heard so much of from my mom. He used to make her toys for Christmas. When my body begins to ache from the walking due to my physiotherapy (I tell myself), I pick my self up from the booth where I can sit all day. "How did you like the poutine?" I am asked. "Fantastic" I reply. "Who thought I would discover poutine at an Italian festival? I am going to put this on my blog." I know that if this place wasn't so far from my home, I would be a regular. Now I am going to have to order poutine whenever I see it and compare. Is it always this good or just at Rudy's. What is poutine you may ask? It is fries coated in delicious gravy and cheese curds. Mmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment