Friday 28 April 2023

Forensic Psychology , Katherine Ramsland (notes)

I thought I had already written about this because I enjoyed it so much. However, it appears I didn’t. It is slightly dated but I believe she is still teaching at an American University and has written lots of books. I was impressed with her lecture and Americans are lucky to have her. When I studied Psychology we didn’t have Forensic Psychology because that would have probably been my passion. We were behind the States because all my books were American at the time and when I questioned it, the answer was we hadn’t written any. Ok. When I was thinking of doing my Masters they were only accepting seven that year and when I heard a brilliant student I knew was rejected, I didn’t even bother. However, so much would have been research and statistics and that simply wasn’t my interest. The States had so much more and it was easier, but more than I could afford. What would my advice be now? Go for it!!! Even if they are selecting only one person - go for it. In one of my careers, I was selected from I believe it was either 200 or 300, tomatoes or tomatos. Many were upset because I was female and when I was asked why me of all the applicants, I spoke merely the truth - I am the best! So go for it always no matter the obstacles. You are just as good as anyone else. I remember one student applying for Harvard just to see if he would be accepted. He was probably the worse student I happened to know and he made no qualms about it. He knew. Anyhow, he was accepted at 50,000 a year tuition (at the time). So, go for it…….Now back to this Forensic Psychology and I am so sorry I am late but there is so much to post. Dr Katherine Ramsland said she used to be a therapist but didn’t like it very much ( now this was at the time. Time changes us). Here is where I tell you that during my first day of providing therapy, I had such a horrible headache after the second client,that I was devastated. I couldn’t believe that after all my studying to reach where I was (I had completed my psychology degree, was enrolled in my Masters and was starting my Internship) I had decided that I hated this work on my first day. One senior student told me that this feeling was normal and I bought it. Anyhow, going back to Forensic Psychology and Dr Ramsland. She explained what a Forensic Psychologist does. A typical case: school and hospital records; work appraisals; military record; crime scene, photos, reports; and witness statements. She is there to answer a specific question, not as a therapist. The shorter the better. You need to remember what your role is. Assessment - Mental state at time of occupancy. Sometimes the court does it. Any evidence before IQ lower than 70 is not competent. She is talking about different testing. Projective, organic/motor skills (brain scans) Malingering/Deception - Faking a disorder to get acquitted etc… Special tests (suicide, depression, PTSD). DSM’s (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) to be continued………..Next: Violent Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment