Thursday 20 April 2023

Busy Week, no time for publisher search, Burn Out and Autism ........

I attended a full day of the Ontario Autism program but I found it rather disappointing because of all the technical problems, which was frustrating and patience is not my middle name. In fact at confession it is a staple sin since I always have difficulty thinking of anything else, because who has time to sin? The morning seemed to be focused on stigma of the use Autism Spectrum disorder, High versus low functioning etc....My clients have never complained about the use of the name. I am guided by my clients on what they like or don't like. My concern is how to help my clients period. Another disappointment was that one speaker said a diagnosis is expensive. Since there were technical difficulties, I couldn't ask exactly how much is a diagnosis? I know it is expensive. It cost 3000. from Autism Society and 2000. from my queries at York University Psychology Department some time ago. What is it now I pray wonder? I did learn that they are diagnosis at CAMH and normally anything there is free so I shall have to check into that. I appreciated the afternoon more because there was an Associate Professor from York University and he will be my go to guy if I need more information or a need to refer. As you know I did my undergrad in Psychology at York so I know how efficient and professional they are. There was also a physician during the afternoon and unfortunately I missed some of it because as I was downloading references and tips for the future, I got bounced out of the webinar and couldn't get back in. I had to check my email a half hour later and behold there was an invitation to get back on (was I angry? burrrrrr) Upon returning there was a medical doctor talking about different cultures etc.....Basically, I didn't glean anything new for the entire day except for what the York Prof said. He said that even if you don't know anything about Autism, we as therapists can still help them by 80%. That was good to hear. There are so many people out there that feel different from others but don't know why. Validation is so important. Client care is always the piority. Now today my email wasn't working properly which apparently was a global problem so I was very late for my "Burn Out" webinar. Fortunately, I finally got in to hear about how there are more therapists leaving than therapists entering the field. I heard about insurance companies and how some when therapists use their websites to see clients, their (client) information is sold. I could not believe that. Selling information of Clients? That is taboo here in Canada. First I use a platform that is approved in Canada. The owner is a therapist which I find to be an asset. Everything is under control. Now since I do everything on line at this moment due to COVID still existing and an elderly Mr Attitude, I still need to let clients know that nothing on the internet is 100% safe and have them sign an agreement. I have had no problems to date. IT is not my speciality but I am gaining a bit of knowledge as time goes on. I also do not deal with insurance companies at all. I don't deal with Veteran Affairs Canada because they want information of clients shared with them which I won't do and I won't deal with WSIB. So, for now it is just me and my clients. Fortunately I will be able to watch "Burn Out" and they are also encouraging us to share which I will do with pleasure with fellow therapists. So, that is a small portion of my week. Self care is paramount for me because when we as therapists feel disconnected we will feel that with our clients (got that speech from the webinar). So tomorrow I shall also be busy but I do want to paste another page of my one of my books. Good talk. Have a great peaceful but fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment