Friday 30 September 2022

For Love of Country - Military Policewoman www.silvaredigonda.ca

“My mother’s smile vanished, replaced by a somber stare. “You are so fortunate to be living during a time when you have all these opportunities that were previously taboo for women.” A sadness shadowed her beautiful face. She continued solemnly, “If I only had the opportunities that you now have when I was young. It was a different time then; I had no choices. If I were young today, I would be doing the same thing you are doing.” The sun shone, its rays reflecting into the diner. “The basic training.” I paused. “It’s a killer.” When I had told Phillip I was joining the Canadian Armed Forces, a cloud had masked his handsome face, as his own memories returned to torment him. Phillip was a medical student whose idea of a date was to take me to an autopsy where he could carve some poor cadaver in his attempts to dissuade me from smoking. A health fanatic, he acknowledged that his own parents were being tortured by his constant nagging about the merits of proper posture. In spite of his attractive blond hair and blue eyes, being in his company was a chore. I would not date him Phillip and his best friend had joined the Forces to have their medical degrees paid for. During training, his best friend died. Phillip resigned as a result, and not without bitterness. He blamed the Forces for his friend’s death. His attempts to discourage me from joining failed. Excerpt From: Silva Redigonda. “For love of country : military policewoman.”

No comments:

Post a Comment