Tuesday 12 July 2022

Optimizing Care in Inflammatory Bowel Disease

I attended this webinar 21 May 22 for 1.5 hrs. I can’t really claim the hours because I am not a physician but I attended because as a psychotherapist people come to me with physical complications as well, so it doesn’t hurt to accept an invitation if it helps any of my clients. The speaker was Dr Anita Afzali MD. MPH etc…….She has quite a few interesting initials. She talked about this in detail but I will give you the tid bit version. Crohn’s Disease is a progressive disease. The longer you have it, the more the chance of needing surgery. If you have one surgery, chances again increase for another. She stated, “we need to do a better job.” Up to 80% of patients will have a progressive disease. Colitis is less understood. Dr Afzali suggested never acting on a single elevation. Supplemental vitamins can elevate. Octave Clinical Program U.C. 65 years of age is the risk factor for the drug, 1/3 above age 65. With Upadacitinib there is improvement the next day. For moderate to severe Crohn Disease - Patient - treatment option - choose one biologic medication and be on it for 10 years. One patient (six months ago) had six inches of her stomach removed. Continued biologic after one month off. Tailor and individualize - these are the options. Looking at everything - this is the best treatment choice. High risk - have to do something biological. Low risk - have more time. Week 12 - response to medication. Need more data for combining. That is all the notes I have for now. I have lots to catch up with once again. I don’t know who invited me to attend, but thank you. Any errors written here are my own and not Dr Afzali.

No comments:

Post a Comment