Wednesday 20 July 2022

Tid bit Info from Psychology Today regarding relationships

I saved the June 22, edition because I thought it would be interesting for you. Here goes pp 18 -19, tid bits. Many tend to have a same-race preference in dating. Couples often have the same body type. Researchers who collected images of spouses both as newlyweds and after 25 years of marriage found that partners generally became more similar in looks over time, which also predicted greater relationship quality. I have provided couple therapy for people prior to marriage, newly married, and couples with 30 plus years of marriage. I find that people call or email me to get free sessions or consultations. I do not provide that. I charge 140 a fifty minute session which will increase to 150. in January. I have kept my fees down due to the pandemic and need to catch up. I see people individually, as a couple or as a family. Couple therapy can be done with individuals, because skills can be developed to learn how to make changes in a relationship. However, if one is in an abusive relationship and changes within the relationship is not possible, then one has to consider what changes need to be made for one’s self to move away from that abuse. That can take a lot of work. If you decide to leave your partner make sure you do so safely. Get a support system which is normally discouraged from the abusive partner. Keep your passport, money and a degree of clothing at an alternative safe place if you decide to leave. Remember that the police is there to protect you. If your abusive partner is a police man or woman don’t let that stop you. That extends to powerful positions your partner may hold. I charge individuals, couples and families the same fee. I do not charge separately for eg. 140. for each person. I understand that some therapists are being trained to do so. Though I understand that, my ideology is I am spending the same time so why charge more? Some people need therapy once a week, some in crises need more and there are some I see bi-weekly or monthly. This is always up to the individual or couple. I do see people of the same family individually if everyone is in agreement. This works well systemically. However, if there is no agreement, I respect the wishes. Have a good day. In Toronto it is very hot. What do you think? I still have another topic from Psychology today to talk about and merits its own spot. That will continue next week - "Chasing Chaos".

No comments:

Post a Comment