Thursday 9 December 2021

Approaches to Elder Abuse: A family physician’s perspective by Elder Abuse Ontario

I attended another live webinar by Dr Bachir Tazkarji, M.D, UofT. and Dr Mark Yaffe, Prof, St Mary’s hospital (Investigation), McGill- Developed tools to help detect elder abuse. I have been to St Mary’s Hospital in Montreal and so was quite pleased. St Mary’s has a warmth about it from my perspective. It is where a cousin of mine died from cancer. His care was amazing. I had promised him I would visit him once a month until he died. I took that train trip once a month for more than a year. My heart is still there. Anyhow, I attended this webinar on 22 Nov 21, so I hope I can read my notes. This too should be posted so if you have the time, I suggest you watch it. It will provide you with video examples of abuse (actors). Elder abuse is 10% international. 16% is under reported. There was a 13 year cohort study, of 2812 community dwelling seniors. Abuse of the elderly promotes premature deaths. Survival of the abused group was 9% compared 40% in non-abused. Safety line for seniors is 1-866-299-1011. Reference for police is EASI-leo. - Yale. www.mcgill.ca/family med I won’t go into a lengthy detail because it is available for you on EAPO. Well worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment