Wednesday 29 December 2021

Stuck at home during the holidays - Omicron

I had lots planned today but last night while watching the news an epidemiologist asked that if we didn't need to go anywhere, not to do so for the next three weeks because Omicron is highly contagious. Another said that walking by someone and breathing the same air can do it. So, this morning I had breakfast at home and after getting dressed decided that my health and life is too important for me to not heed the advice of experts. I love life and have plenty left so I can halt for another while. I can still enjoy my vacation. My pets are happy to have me all to themselves. This Christmas as well as last I have limited myself to the extreme in seeing people. After I was double vaccinated with pfizer I was flying. I felt safer than ever knowing that if not 100% safe, it was close enough to still maintain safety regulations but socialize more and eat out once again. I was concerned when three different MacDonald locations did not ask for proof of vaccine. I was concerned when I got my hair done and the mask I was wearing was loosened over my face. However, now that I know that my vaccines may not protect me against Omicron like I thought it may, it is time for battle once again. I am on a waiting list with Shoppers Drug Mart for the Pfizer booster. The government is saying that we are running out of Pfizer and will be provided with Moderna shortly until we get more. There are line ups for the hope of getting vaccinated which I don't do. People wait from early hours in the cold and I feel for them. I know that I don't have to go anywhere to work because I work from home. I have closed down my office after replacing furniture which was clean friendly with what I needed to disinfect. I was surprised to see a hairdresser clear her client's seat with air disinfect. During this pandemic it has been a wake up call to see in practise how people react to a pandemic. There are still those who protest against sanctions feeling their rights are being infringed. However, the health care is quickly becoming overwhelmed. They now want health care persons to work if tested positive but not suffering symptoms. Our nurses and doctors are overwhelmed and yet they are still pushing them to collapse. What then? I remember physicians being pushed beyond imagination when I was an Intern. They are not super robots. Now more then ever they are being tested to the extreme. This is not sustainable in the long run. As our medical experts warn politicians such as it is not a good idea to allow a game for 10,000 people to attend, this is ignored by those trying to maintain a balance. I know that after the holidays Omicron will surge more than ever. I have concern for those who are not vaccinated. They are more worried about a needle, than dying from COVID. At least the majority of us are offered some protection where hospital stay may be prevented as well as death. Of course, once they get sick they realize their error with regret. However, I believe that in many ways we have failed them by their lack of education and awareness in medicine. Some feel that there is no way we could have devolped a vaccine in such a short time. They are unaware of how medicine has progressed and how when we unite as a world what can be accomplished. I see that in other avenues such as PTSD. Progress is consistent when minds seek. If only one person reads my blog and thinks about getting vaccinated than I shall have accomplished hope which is my goal in helping others. I did venture out before Omicron became disturbing. I went to Pioneer village, one of my favourite spots. I also bought more in their gift shop than I needed because I could. I social distanced with Santa Clause. I went out for high tea which is a favourite treat. But, now for the rest of my vacation, I shall stay put and wait to be called for my booster. Then, once again I shall venture out. I shall work less and play more offering my clients the best of me. I have been enjoying my vacation watching Christmas movies but I must admit that there was a tiresome amount of the same theme. Girl must decide between two men ..........one is the one she is stuck with and then viola she meets her prince - literally. I did enjoy watching Anny, Tom Kinkade (I love his art), unfortunately he died too young, and a few other true stories and classics. I am reading Vatican 11. I have read Sports and Psychology and my routine magazines. I am reading a book from a British writer which is somewhat interesting but disturbing so I won't name her. I have done some crosswords which are more difficult than I wanted. I have enjoyed Christmas and am looking forward to New Years. I have done nothing resembling any work except for this blog and checking emails in case someone orders a book from me. I have another week of blissful nothing to do if I don't want to do it and I like it. Next year is another year of hope and adventure. I was almost thinking of taking an overnight trip before Omicron came along. I am thankful that we still have vaccines that can protect us because one day as per my studies, we will have a super bug that we won't have a vaccine, but that time is not now. I do hope that the world can work a bit better together and ensure that deseases to not initiate because of disregarding the importance of caring for our animal life and our planet. We have lots of work to do but we can do it. I want to wish you the best and for those who are feeling isolated and sad here are a few things to do. Go for walks and greet people. Nod your head, smile and say hello. I am surprised at how often men greeted me with my mask on. I thought I knew them. It is ok. Start a new hobby. Consider something you have not tried before or perhaps renew something. Taking pictures with your camera or phone is a consideration, take a cooking class, learn to paint - you may just have a talent waiting to be discovered. Listen to music, pray, practice your religion or spirituality. Help others in some way. Connect with others safely. Focus on self care. Consider forgiving those you are not at peace with. As the year ends reflect, but do not forget any positives. Even though we are restricted, we have options. Write.....how you feel, what you are doing....write your story...write a story.....laugh and dance and find joy in pets, family and children. There are great neighbours out there as well and perhaps let them know in some gesture. I wish you a happy new year. Talk soon. https://www.redigondapsychotherapy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment