Monday 7 June 2021

Families in Cinically Unsafe Environments

It has been quite busy, so much so, that my poor book has taken a stand still. I mentioned I would be attending another seminar and this time I won’t be able to share. It had all to do with on line therapy and it was very interesting but the speaker made it quite clear that there is no sharing, so I shall say sorry but my lips are sealed. I attended another webinar that I haven’t talked about yet. It was with the American Association of Family Therapy. The speaker was Dr Gwyn Daniel. Gwyn is a Jewish woman and sympathizes with the Palestinians. She works overseas and has been trained as a social worker. Her husband is a professor. She stated that Palestinians need permission to build but permission is rarely given, so they build and then soldiers can come and demolish it. She spoke of a new group called Defence of Children International. It’s a project of giving children agency. Children (usually 14-16 years of age)can interview other children about their lives and feed it back to a children’s parliament. She said that there are many Israeli’s who do not support what is happening. She spoke of Palestinians who feel shame for not being able to protect their children who can be taken. Her work is done in Gaza so since she can’t go there, work is often via Skype. She provided the history within the Middle East. I won’t go into the history which can easily be found on line. One of the therapists who attended asked her if she takes sides or is neutral? Her response was how as a therapist do you stay open? In social justice, she stated, you cannot stay neutral but you can be open to different narratives. She used domestic violence as an example. We stand against the domestic abuse to protect the victim but also to understand how this occurred. What are my views? Well, I worked in the Middle East and will stay out of the politics for now. But, the hatred which exists touches us here. Not all that long ago when protests were going on here at City Hall there was a large group of Palestinians and also another of Israelis. We could see a group of about five youths carrying a Palestinian flag surrounding and beating a Jewish elderly man. Obviously I cringed. I think that protests are a right. However, abuse of any kind is not. And when a group attack one man I find it despicable. There is a lot of hate going around these days. We need to remember that in Canada regardless of where we come from, we have chosen to be here. Well, my parents chose to be here and I came along for the ride. It is our home. Some people who fight here are fighting fellow Canadians who happen to have immigrated from somewhere at some time. As for myself, I believe in doing no harm. Therefore, if it causes harm, step back. I have been watching documentaries lately and reading about the most horrible things that people to others, because of religion or political motives. I wonder how we have survived? Yet we have. I do believe that there is more good than bad. As a therapist my concern is my client regardless of gender, religion, political view etc……It is not my job to judge them. It is my job to help them as they wish to be. However, I do have times when I have a duty to report and each client knows that. That is all for today. Maybe you can spend some time reflecting. Have you been harmed by any group? Do you belong to a group that causes harm? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment