Thursday 31 December 2020

The last day of the year. A time for pause.

What a year it has been! I never thought I could spend so much time at home. Things were the busiest for me since I started my practice. I had to quickly learn everything I could about Covid and about starting an online practice - something I had really not been interested in doing. Talk about changing quickly to adapt to the environment. I was concerned about achieving my education hours which was not necessary because I surpassed what I required. I attended more seminars and conferences than I ever had before because it could all be done on-line. It came to a point that I had to decline opportunities because I was simply just too busy. This is the first time I took so much holidays during Christmas because normally it is the most difficult time for people, but this year was difficult throughout the year for most people. We saw as a society the worse of people and the best. There was a surge of racism, much to my disappointment. I expected more from my fellow Canadians. We need to educate people more regarding this issue. We cannot have fellow Canadians target others because of religion, race, culture, colour etc.....We are all Canadians. Neither should we target our guests from other countries. Canadians also stepped up to help those who could not help themselves. Many volunteered their services for others. Children also participated in raising funds for those who needed it. I believe the goodness that came from people in helping others, far surpassed those horrible instances where people in their ignorance attacked others. Some were caught and charged, rightly so. We cannot tolerate this behavior. All people have the right to feel safe in this country. So many come from far away to find freedom here and we all have a responsibility to help each other achieve that. Freedom is not about exposing others to a virus. Freedom is about our protection so we can all be free to live. One of the things I usually ask from clients is how they manage their self care. Drugs and alcohol is not managing self care. Sometimes people need to face their fears and find a healthy way to manage that. We have people in this country who have suffered so much in their country of origin. They have been silenced, raped and/or tortured for their refusal of denouncing their religion or families. Canadians and those educated in this country have been incarcerated in other countries for no reason other than to promote freedom. Others have been incarcerated because dictators are mad at our country. I am in awe of so many people I have provided psychotherapy for. I have been offered a gift in being able to help others. I wish you all a safe and healthy new year. I wish you joy. In January I will return to providing you with notes from my conferences, seminars and other. I will also continue with theology notes and blurps from my books. My new Year resolution is to work a bit less and spend more time on my love of writing my stories. I also would like more time to be able to accept an opportunity which is of interest to me, rather than to causually dismiss offers. I would love to open up my home office again to people who prefer face to face. I will also continue with an online practice or telephone. I want to be able to offer someone an opportunity of their own choice. Many even young people are not tech savy and are intimidated by on-line therapy. I understand that. Regarding book #4, I have written about 30 pages so far and am hoping to write 200. The book I am now writing about is spooky with a touch of policing, mystery and more spookiness. Of course Holy Terror, my baby is in it as well. Holy Terror is sleeping right beside me as I am typing away. Mr Attitude is at his favourite place - my bed. I want to thank you all for reading my blogs. Thank you for your patience. Keep warm, eat well, keep moving and remember there are a lot of good people out there. It just may not seem so when you are a target. What do you think? Happy New year.

No comments:

Post a Comment