Tuesday 26 March 2019

#Breakthroughmovie

I was invited and attended the Premiere of the movie Breakthrough last night. I have probably mentioned that I am often enough invited to events, seminars etc…..by hosts I do not know. This time I asked. Why was I invited? The host stated that there was a media firm that had. Ok, so I went to find a good seat and got it. Before the film started, the host stated that we were chosen because we are influencers. I had to think about that one. In psychology, I learned that when someone gives us something small, our response is to give more. Marketers use that. Did you ever get that salesperson who annoyingly comes to your door and offers you a small gift for your attention? Then you feel obligated to talk to them a bit. Did you ever have that same person take the gift back? I do not consider myself an influencer. Ok, I blog and tweet etc….These are the times when we can do that. I wondered if I was invited because I write my school notes, speak my mind etc…..Is it because I write my notes on theology or is it a contact? Who knows. Who cares? However, they chose well, because I am writing about this movie. When you ask someone to come to a premiere, you need to select someone who will speak well of the movie. They did their job. I drove to the Queensway and hold and behold, there was a huge movie theatre which didn’t exist years ago when a good friend of mine and I used to go eat at a sports bar once in awhile. Boy time flies. I like the theatre, which has a VIP section and lots of parking. Parking is an issue these days because as you know, they all turn into condos. So, though initially I had hoped they would hold the event closer to home, it was ok after the rush hour was over and even more so when all the people leave Toronto after work to return to their respective homes outside the city. My bad. I am thinking of my property taxes that have risen. One politician vocalizing the increasing of my taxes even more, and whom I voted for will be missing at least one vote at the next election. Mayor Tory was right in not supporting him. I did not listen. Nor did I listen to others. Back to the movie. I enter the theatre and am greeted warmly. I find the film area and am greeted once again even more warmly. I love the photo release of the movie. I find my seat right where I want it, and go off to get my treats which would cost the same as paying for the movie, if not more. Back at my seat I see a man entering the theatre and I watch him intensely because he looks just like Josh Lucas and my heart skips a beat just for a second. He sits behind me and as soon as he opens his mouth, I know it is not him. I am too polite to turn to look. The show is about to begin when the friendly host stands at the front and explains that we are invited because we are influencers. I ponder about that. She wants us to take a picture of the screen and to post it. I take a picture of the screen and save it. I only use my phone for clients and family if needed. I ponder……..I had reached out to a charity organization because I was very interested in being a provider for who they were attracting. However, there is a catch, which explained why they don’t have many representatives from Toronto. I would have to advocate for them. Though I am very interested in their work, I decide by the end of the movie that I shall not. Their loss. I don’t think it is ethical. Back to the movie. The host asks that people refrain from using their cell phones and ask that all be shut off. Us influencers were allowed to bring a guest. I am sure it was a guest sitting ahead of me, who was always checking her facebook page, because her partner, certainly an influencer, kept giving her the look, which she was ignoring. It was hard for her to see my look, since she had her back to me. I could see another up front doing the same. They really don’t believe they are annoying in a theatre. I begin to wonder if it is impossible for some to turn off their phones for two hours? I have no problem with that. I was the last of family and friends to get a cell phone, because I wanted the freedom of that. However, now I have a business. The movie begins and I lay back in my comfortable seat which I want to bring home with me. What do I think of the movie? I enjoyed it. The popular cast worked hard at making me want to cry which I didn’t of course and laugh and chuckle which I did. There are so many messages in this movie that it can replace a book club. Start a movie club. Are there any out there? There are plenty of themes that can be discussed. This movie is about love and God and of course the two are interlinked. It is about prayer and it is about community. It is about judgement and it is about tragedy bringing people together. It is about a miracle and about medical science. It demonstrates the depth of what emergency service responders and medical staff face. It is about life and death. Did I enjoy the movie? I did. Is it worth seeing? Well, if you need a break from vampires and horror (my bad, since I am writing one when I can), violence and gore, well yes, since it is based on a true story. I left the movie after it was over, and as I was bumping into each who I had talked to earlier, I saw the elation on their faces. “You are going to talk to your friends about this?”one woman asked me. I nodded smiling. Heck why don’t I just tell the world. That’s what we can all do nowadays. The movie is coming to a theatre near you 17 Apr 19. That is what the host told us and asked us to repeat so it stuck in my brain. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment