Wednesday 27 March 2019

Adler School of Psychology - catching up notes

I promised you more notes from conferences etc….and then I want to return to my abnormal psychology notes. It has been awhile since I was invited back to Adler. The last time there was a focus on coaching which is not my interest. However, I did meet many interesting people. But I did find some notes from previous lectures there and I thought I would talk about that and sum it up. They were discussing Cognitive Behaviour Therapy which I incorporate very much in my practice. They talked about automatic thoughts which triggers an emotional and behavioural response. So I noticed I drew a picture of a person and at the bottom I have a line to thoughts, another to emotions and another to behaviour. They suggested using the magic wand to avoid the emotional behaviour. These are very basic in theories. What I may say to a client is “If I had a magic wand and anything is possible, what would you like?” Responses usually depicts what the client really wants. It may be to be clear of horrible memories. It may be to be able to go outside and just enjoy it. It may be to be more assertive…etc….That allows me to understand what the client’s objective is. It gives us something to work with. I find that often a client comes to me and thinks one thing is bothering him or her and it is something more much deeper that is surfacing. The Adler person whose name I believe is Erin Bech went further and suggested the following: You are going to have a fear - but this magic wand will remove the behavior. She uses the example that a person hates you and if this person didn’t you would have a different emotional response. Reinforcement of a pattern where it is logical for them. You have beliefs, assumptions, and rules. If this happens, then this happens and is what I have to do. We also had another instructor speaking to us by the name of Vytas, Velyuis (I hope I have this right). Velyuis spoke about core beliefs, belief assumptions. He said that things should be settled by age 50 (I find that in my practice, this is not so). Velyuis spoke of powerful people working, and therefore there are more options, more to talk about. There was talk about collaborative therapy. That humour is ok and being yourself. As I type this, I know this is just refresher from undergrad and post grad. I do have a wonderful sense of humour if I do say so myself, but I do try to keep it in check. Am I myself, yes. I would not want to be anyone else. We talked about the DSM and changes. I have written to you before about the changes but will include what I have in these notes. There is more detail and new diagnosis. There is a restructuring of personality disorders, on going as new data researches comes up. www.DSM5.org Depression is not changed at all. Roman numerals are dropped. There is the elimination of GAF. Numeric is still numerical. Assessment - added idea that disorders and problems and functioning and psychometrically or self assessment. Standardized - using dimensional method. www.psychiatry APA online measure assessment. WHODAS. 2.0 Separation Disorder is new as in separate from family. Bi polar is separate from mood disorder. Majority of the time is spent more on depression. Anti depressant induced mania. Ok, that is that for now. I have two more notes from seminars etc…I want to write about before I continue with my undergrad psych notes. Note that all those notes are before the changes but I still find value in them. There will always be changes with research and that is a good thing. Have a nice week, enjoy the sun that has come out here in Toronto at least, and hope you return next week or catch up on what you still have to read. What do you think? www.redigondapsychotherapy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment