Sunday 28 October 2018

Hate - Heartfelt sorrow for the killing of the Jewish community in Pittsburg

I have seen hatred in most of my previous careers and I have seen the pain of suffering of victims and/or survivors in my private practice and in my internships. I have always felt a sort of kinship with the Jewish community. I went to a highschool where the majority were probably Jewish. I used to pretend to be Jewish to get their holidays so I could skip school on their day. However, I am a Roman Catholic and trying to get both holidays off was not missed on my teachers. So, I settled on getting my Christian holidays off. My sense of humour has served me well in my private life and careers. In the middle East I also worked in Tel Aviv and Eilat and saw the Jewish people as a proud people, an intelligent people. As an acquaintenace of mine who is Jewish said words to the effect that, the Jewish people need to be the best they can to survive. Hitler's objective to destroy the Jewish people horrified me as I learned about the camps in my Catholic elementary school. I could not believe even as a child that people could cause harm so horrendously to other human beings. As an adult touring several of the concentrations that killed and tortured so many caused tears to flow without even crying. Animals are more humane than ourselves, though we are considered the highest form. I was on a tour to Kenya with a group of Jewish people and I was stunned when at one resort, I was confronted by one, who stated that it must be horrible for me to be the only non Jew. I didn't know how he knew that, or understood, why I would be asked such a question. Hatred is ugly and we must all unite to do our part to stop ignoring this. I don't normally blog on a Sunday but I am making an exception today. I want the Jewish community who have always been so nice to me, know that I support them. I believe it was the Mayor of Pittsburg this morning stating that hatred needs to be eradicated throughout the world. I agree. I used to think we were so civilized but now I know we are behind. We are still on a path towards making this world worthy of us. So, know Pittsburg that today you are in my thoughts and prayers. Amen. I just received a call back from a friend who is a Jew. She sounded upset and told me that she had lit a candle for the Jews in Pittsburg who were killed and had no family. I had no idea that she had also lived in Pittsburg for awhile. I told her that she had given me an idea and I would light a candle for the Jewish people at mass today. The conversation was brief because she was suffering and needed to get off the phone. Such sadness but also the realization that there are so many good people out there who unite during these troubling times.

No comments:

Post a Comment