Tuesday 7 August 2018

A journal of a day, almost ten years ago. Self care.

I am due to write to you and it has been busy with work and play and readings. I thought I would share with you a day journal I wrote about ten years ago. I know there are people who read my blog who are in the helping positions. Self care is important for everyone but for those in the helping professions, self care is paramount. One way to keep track of how you feel is by journaling. I usually save what I think I can use in a book or blog etc....Eventually, I should write about dying, even if it is a chapter, and I thought that I could use what I share today with you. For people who deal with suffering I usually recommend that they are able to let those who want to burden them with their problems such as aquaintenances to either limit the interacation or recommend a therapist. Burn out can be a problem and if one wants to help others, they must be able to take good care of themselves. Take time for R & R and do not feel guilty about it. How often do I need to give permission for people to take care of themselves, to have fun and not to feel guilty about it. Go to the gym, spend time with God, if you believe in God, and if you do not, take time with nature. Enjoy a serene space. Pay attention to your feelings and watch how often it can change depending on your interaction with others. A smile can make you smile, a tear can sear your heart and then a donut can make it all good with sound company. Pay attention to yourself, and your own needs so you can be your best for others. 20 May 1909 This week I work my first seven day week for 21 days straight. I should be dead by the time this unit is closed. Would I do this work? I would rather have clients in an office, booking at my leisure. But palliative care is my first choice. There is something unique about being with people who are dying. Knowing it is our time, what havoc it does. Their families I find are so wonderful and loving. How else can they be, for dying strips away all pretence. There is only rawness. Please help those souls Lord. Help them die. Mercy can never be more important than it is at death. Please help Mrs…………..Give her strength for what she is facing. Spare her pain and let her die with dignity as per her request, after so many years of service. Help me to deal with all this sorrow. Let me learn from it. Thank you. This has been a gift. How many years have you worked in the service of others? What sustains you? How do you recognize when you need to help yourself? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment