Saturday 11 August 2018

Experiential Therapy - Conference continuation - notes (don’t have name of speaker).

Emphasis is creating optimal conditions. Mindfulness - based interventions. 15 minutes or more to relax. eg. HIV patient wants to go on a date but fears he will be “dumped.” Present orientated- focused on sensory experiences of what is happening now. Allow self to see the process, letting go of the thoughts and can practise by breathing and body scan. Can create optimal conditions after medications. Helpful for symptoms of anxiety and depression. Research - gay men living with HIV (mixed centres and hospitals). Internalized stigma - HIV. Growing “shame.” How to integrate compassion into mindfulness; Compassion is being moved by other’s suffering and wishing that they feel better. Wise compassion includes empathy. Softening defences - Many had parents who didn’t know how to calm themselves down, let alone their child. This is compounded by abuse. There are no coping skills. Client has learned to block them (painful memories). Develop self kindness, friendliness, instead of beating yourself up. Alleviating gentleness, curiosity and empathy guides you bodily and sensory experience, feelings and thoughts. Emotion focused mindfulness - breathing; feel what hands are touching, feel your body in the chair, your feet in your shoes on the floor. Lay meditating five minutes and get feelings about work - take elevator down to deep calm. What’s this? Take elevator up and come back half way. Notice the state you are in at the bottom and then half way. What do you feel? Pausing and finding the right distance from the feeling - if too far away, try a body scan to tune into the body better. If too close and intense, try getting some distance. Find a handle symbolizing the felt sense. Find word for your senses. Do meditate and then journal. Explore experience with your therapist. There are many examples of learning how to relax. I normally use a 15 minute relaxation technique for my clients, I was provided with, back in my undergrad in health psychology. He used it on us, and I felt myself relaxing and the calming sensation after a long day at work and then night classes. I normally provide a handout for them as well as some stress relief tips I obtained in post grad. I normally cater what I use depending on the client’s need. This was part of a workshop I attending. I will not have the names of several speakers from the conferences because they were short and I had to find where the rooms were and handouts were not always given. However, I do think it is important for you regardless of why you may need to know it for it to help. Mindfulness is becoming quite popular. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment