Tuesday 27 June 2017

Psychotherapy - How often and how much time?

I recently informed you about how people ask me questions expecting an immediate and easy response about the amount of time required for therapy and how I cannot provide it so here goes. My undergrad schooling was in psychology and I was informed that two months is the average figure for therapy. Then I continued with grad studies and etc…and I found that many kept clients for long term. What I learned in the process through internships and private practice, is that there is no magic number. Yes, I have seen people for consultations which has been mostly trying to determine how one can offer emotional support for someone close to them who has a terminal diagnosis, how to help their child, how to understand a situation etc……Normally that has taken me one session or two as a follow-up. Then I have seen clients who has taken up to six months to share a horrifying life event. I have seen clients from one session to one year to help them cope with their addiction and to help work on alternative ways of dealing with their suffering rather than the addiction. I have seen clients who required a diagnosis and have referred them with their permission. I have seen clients for a variety of issues and my objective is to help them with what they want help with but it is up to them to take a look at themselves and their situation and determine what it is they want. Often one wants me to “fix” or tell them what to do. However, it is up to the individual to determine what it is they want and need. I can only help them see it, by having them step back and look at themselves and their surroundings, while before, it was too murky because the emotions are too powerful. People sometimes see me for one reason and then determine that it is something else entirely that was causing disturbances, rather than what they thought initially. One question I often ask is “Who are you?” That question has been cause for reflection, a burst of tears, etc……Too often people are being told who they are, what their failures are etc…..that they see themselves how people in their circles treat them. It is for this reason and many others that I hesitate to say how much therapy is required for the individual. What are the struggles? How long has the person struggled? Has abuse been silenced? Has abuse become the norm? Does the individual have a distorted view of the world and their situation? How resilient is the person? Is the person suffering trauma, grief etc….How open is someone to therapy? Is there a support system? Is there a stigma etc….. It may take a few sessions for some who have experienced something and need help to sort things out for themselves. As a therapist I may help you understand why you remain in an abusive relationship if you are in one. You may also reflect and determine that it is you who are the abuser etc……. My objective is not to keep someone in therapy if it is not required. I find that unethical. I find that people initially may need weekly session or bi-weekly. This can be decreased gradually or more so. Some may want to check in once every month or six months or annually. Some may feel good enough to move on with their lives in another direction to please themselves rather than others. What do you think? I will like to continue with couple therapy, family therapy and Pastoral Counselling. Feel free to ask any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment