Tuesday 13 June 2017

Memory and Aging continuation…………

This weekend I was asked a question about how much therapy a person requires and if I follow Freud’s concepts? Those were two mouthful questions? People always ask me spontaneous questions and expect a 30 second response, normally with a figure. And I was going to write about that today since I think it requires an answer for many. However, I did promise I was going to continue with memory and aging this week so I shall honour that. However, I will have to remind myself that the above mentioned comes up quite a bit and so maybe I shall record it so that people if not happy with me not able to provide a figure considering that people are different etc…..I will make sense of it here. So back to today. I said I would tell you about Medical disorders and diseases that affect memory. I will refrain from repeating sources as you will see that in the previous blog. Many of you may be familiar with dementia which can be caused by various diseases including Alzheimer, vascular disease such as multiple stokes and Lewy body disease. Thyroid problems become more common with aging and that can cause memory difficulties. Treatment with thyroid medication can improve memory but may not bring it back completely (p 12, Memory and Aging program, refer to previous blog). Anxiety or depression may cause difficulty concentrating. Hormonal changes may also affect memory changes. Medication for medical problems can cause memory problems especially those treating depression, anxiety, high pressure, allergies and epilepsy. Though there are claims that certain medication can improve memory, “To date, there is no convincing evidence that these medications are helpful for healthy adults experiencing normal age-realted memory change.”p 13 What does affect your memory is diet. What can you do to improve your eating habits? Are you getting adequate vitamins and minerals? Follow the Canada’s food guide at www.hc-sc.gc.ca Exercise is also important and is associated with the growth of new brain cells in your hippocampus. Evidence to date also depicts that the greater your cognitive engagement, the greater your memory function. Activities such as reading “challenging books”, crossword puzzles, playing chess or bridge, attending lectures, going to the theatre, singing in the choir and playing a musical instrument is an example of this. Frequency (more than once a day) and variety is important as well(pp 14-18). I enjoyed this program. I was actually surprised at how much I actually use my brain everyday but was not surprised at how much I need to get serious regarding exercising and eating better. Since becoming a vegetarian I realize I have been eating too much processed foods. It is easy to buy veggie made products. So I have decided to see a dietitian. Yes siree. I also do not exercise sufficiently which is because I spend so much time reading and sitting. I don’t think my clients would appreciate me standing and dancing as I am working with them. However, I also am quite aware that I manage my time and I can incorporate what I advise. Balance in life is my motto with lots of fun thrown in. I did sign up for the theatre which I love. After leaving my health club because of their ridiculous rule about a faster swimmer being able to kick out a swimmer from a lane if they can swim faster still, and telling me that all of Toronto incorporates this, I have not seriously looked for another. They also have a community centre really close to me however they do not have showers. Personally, I don’t think it should be legal to have gym facilities without showers. I think that is a hygiene concern. So, it looks like I have to consider outside my community or simply dance and dance and dance. How active are you? Do you use your brain? Do you enjoy photography? That counts. Get your camera and go out there! There are so many ways to learn new things and I suppose reading this counts for one thing today which is not enough, especially if you already know all this. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment