Wednesday 16 September 2015

Enjoying these last days of summer

I have been slowing down from the millions or minions of things I have to do and having mini vacations. I have been enjoying my home more, my friends more and my pets more. I have been bathing myself in sun - a bit too much. I have joined a Health Club which I joined twice before and then stopped for some reason or another. I have been enjoying swimming lengths. I have also found it to be very therapeutic as I swim and watch the gardens outside and then go out to the terrace and have a late lunch or early supper and watching birds bathing themselves in the fountain. It is a place I used to enjoy bringing my mom to because it pleased her so. I encourage all of you to find that piece of heaven each day where you can rest, re-energize and return to the work force feeling refreshed. You are also more productive. I have returned to the Health Club primarily to get physically fit. Since grad school, I have been seated much to much. I had forgotten how much I really love to swim. I used to be a lifeguard in my teenage years which I believe I mention in my second book. I had one instructor who was teaching a woman to swim, focus on me suddenly and then telling his student to watch my breathing and that it was relaxed. Then stupid me blurts out that I hadn't swam in a year. Where is my humility, I pondered later while drinking my cappuchino in the garden. Well, yes it is true that I had not swam for a year, and that was just one night, but is that encouraging for someone who is trying to learn? No - it is not. So, after that when someone comments that I swim effortlessly and I make it look easy, I just say anyone learn and leave it like that. I learned from the life guard. I saw a female lifeguard give a tissue to a woman in the water who wanted to blow her nose. I was surprised that the woman did not leave the pool to do so. As it was the female life guard provided the tissue to her and the woman blew her nose and gave the used tissue back. The guard disposed of it and then washed her hands in the pool. That certainly wasn't in my job description and neither I am sure it is in hers. She did not seemed phased by it at all, as if it was routine. I think we can all put in a bit more effort at being kinder to people when they are working. I have decided to actually spend some money to advertise and am considering placing some of my books in the bookstores. I will lose money doing that but I want people to read my books. I have also began reading a bit more after swimming. I like routine even though I am always, altering it according to priorities. Now I have one of my pets monopolizing my attention. I have to go before he sits on the key pad. What do you think? How do you relax?

No comments:

Post a Comment