I have attended a few webinars with the American Guild and Sister's of Crime World Wide, States and Toronto. Toronto has one on Thursday night which I would like to attend if available. I am going to continue with my last notes with Sisters of Crime (probably American) due to more availability with my schedule. It's regarding Roads to Publishing. "Long Road" I'll be dead before success (I am giggling as I type this). Apparently the speaker received 72 rejections looking for an agent. With agents at Conferences - got rejected hundreds of times.
Raguel v. Reyes- Speaker - liked cozy but no one looked or talked like him - kept - always a Latino, Character. 20 years ago joined Sisters in Crime in Miami. Sleuth first (no longer exists). Met all kinds of people. One of them was an editor - took her advice which made it better. When you have a contract, you will get an agent (went to one that wanted to help minorities). Movie - had no control over that. Won't get help getting books published. Rarely any requirements. Publishers now do not pay for book tours. If bidding war, may get a small budget - never will cover costs. Do your research. Everyone has an opinion so learn to discern. Look at budget - start with local. How do you become sellable? If Indy, you have to do it all. If family, don't listen but an author you admire - listen. Allied may have pathway. A couple of awards out there.
Ok, let me discern. What is my budget? Nadda. I am in transition since retiring. I am being prudent. I am not considered a minority so I never fit anywhere for a free be. I am white, straight and looking at me may lift your heart but not any charity. When I sent my manuscript to the only publisher in Niagara Falls, Ontario, I never even got a I hate your book and I am planning to move there. Not nice. Does Stephen King want to talk to me about my book? I hardly think so. Of course I can drop it down his chimney and perhaps get a fire burning, but that's about it. I am a realist. I don't chase people. However, when I go to shows, people normally come to see me or at least stop by and that is nice. I am not computer savy but I am still better than most I know. I do not have patience so that is probably not a good thing as a writer. I am in transition so I am still exploring my options. Do I want to be a professional writer and no longer have it as a hobby? I really don't know. There is so much more I can do than why am I not doing it? I like writing but do I lose my passion if it becomes my work? Do I care what people think? There are all kinds of people out there and everyone does have an opinion. I am not a business person. I have never taken one business course. I have spent a life time helping people from being a life guard, serving my country policing here and over seas and helping people as a therapist. I still to this day remember the Life Saving Motto - " Whom ever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man." I write because it is part of me. I enjoy it. In the last Sister's in Crime I attended (American - I do like them) they talked about plotting. It is structured. However, I am like a home cook (I don't cook) I just sprinkle a bit of this and that and create via the crevices of my brain. The story takes over my brain and I just go with it. What has stopped me through this transition is as I am exploring, I am making fun a priority. I have been reading for fun a lot and watching movies. I have been socializing and just chilling and finding my niche. I have been thinking what is next for me? I have been watching Global warming striking away and people still not understanding or recognizing it. Leadership in some countries are strongly lacking logic and common knowledge. People are more divided than ever. And where do I stand? I love life. I love it today that I can turn off the air conditioner and breathe in fresh air. I love it that I do not have food insecurity. I love it that I have a room of my own and can write. I believe in and love God and I am not ashamed about it. I surrender to it. I love nature and relish in the joy of watching a squirrel eat. I enjoy watching a raccoon holding a ball in its mouth as a child would enjoy a ball. I even enjoy watching children play as I ride my stationary bike in between pausing from reading for a few minutes. I am watching the real estate market very carefully to decide the right time to move to Niagara Falls and travel. What is your niche? What moves you? What do you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment