Thursday 17 August 2023

For Love Of Country - Military Policewoman www.silvaredigonda.ca (Meet your local author the following Saturday reminder) I will be selling my books at the Coptic Center in Mississauga

Friday, we began the day at the dental clinic, where we were instructed by a dentist about personal oral hygiene. Our teeth were checked and x-rayed. Then we experienced another kind of “drill” for the first time. We learned how to stand at “attention,” a rigid stance, and how to stand “at ease,” which is an informal, yet military way of standing more relaxed. We also learned various steps to march. Later that day we had a swimming class. Because I had been a lifeguard and held my Award of Merit, I was detailed to be the lifeguard. This would be my position for the duration of the course. We were rushed from class to class. Men working at the construction sites openly peered at us through the change room windows which weren’t covered, yet nothing was done about it. The female instructors continued to holler at us to hurry, while occasionally looking out at the men watching us. This would also become routine. The day ended with an hour allotted with the Padre. He was a priest and a Captain. This was the best part of the day. He told us to be strong and not to cry and continuously embarrassed our Corporal. Saturday, October 19, I received a letter from home informing me that a distant cousin whom we liked had died. I mailed a sympathy card to his wife immediately. Jess had been a gentle and kind man. I spent several summer weeks during the school holidays with his family in Woodstock, Ontario, enjoying each day to the fullest. The rest of the day was spent working on my kit. I was happy it was a weekend because it gave me the opportunity not to rush. The women were becoming tense and frustrated. The gossip was unbelievable and accidentally bumping into someone could cause a cruel confrontation. They were tearing each other apart. I found that some women were extremely masculine while others were very feminine. The masculine women were tougher and would automatically defend the latter. I decided to become the latter and avoid any unnecessary confrontations. By being silent, I could avoid fighting. It was interesting because I was normally quite assertive and self reliant, but I never had to deal with these types of aggressive women before. I was looking forward to going out that night, but when inspected to see if I was suitably attired to leave the barracks, I was informed I was wearing too much makeup. Too much makeup consisted of some lipstick, so I was not permitted to leave. Excerpt From: Silva Redigonda. “For love of country : military policewoman.

No comments:

Post a Comment