Tuesday 29 August 2023

Writers Corner Authors Event - Up, Close and Personal - Meet your local Author

I had a real nice time. I bought more books than I sold because we really got close and personal. The Coptic Church I went to is breathtaking. I had never been in one before. There was an enormous amount of free parking which I just don’t see in Toronto. We were spaciously held in an elegant ballroom and were provided with beautiful white linen covered tables. I had brought my own but kept it in my box. I didn’t want to stand apart from the group. We were provided with what I thought was a money bag and water bottle. The money bag turned out to be an ice carrier for food which I will use. I haven’t figured out the water bottle option yet. I may use it as a pasta container. It had been awhile since I utilized my poster stand on my own and I received a nasty cut which wouldn’t stop bleeding. A wonderful author came rushing to me and took over the assembly while I stared at my red blood oozing from my finger. I was surprised it didn’t cause me pain. It is healing nicely, thank you. In case you didn’t know, I am a wimp. Ouchies are not for me. I was wondering if I still looked like my picture since I am now a blond. It seemed to work. People as always are enchanted with Holy Terror’s picture and I still miss her everyday. I have an image of her purring and my kissing her as I nod for the vet to euthanize her, the vet telling me that this was a peaceful death. What I didn’t share with you is that the next night, I woke up suddenly at night to a yellow glow at a corner in my bedroom. I raised myself to try to determine where the light was coming from. I couldn’t figure it out. However, I was overcome with sleep and set myself back down. I like to think that God let Holy Terror see me. She was such a beautiful gift to me and to think they were going to put her down if I did not adopt her, is mystifying. These are people who are supposed to be protecting animals. She was the sweetest, cutest animal. Wait, I remember one day when she was looking down at me from on top of the sofa and suddenly dropped right on my stomach. I bent over in pain, but she is so cute, I couldn’t even get mad. She didn’t do it again within the 20 years I had her. Animals are such a gift to us. We need to do a better job at protecting them. Ok, back to the event. We were informed that we can go up to the podium and talk about our books which is why I bought more books than I sold. What I heard was the hardship that racism has caused them and now they were telling their stories. One talked about dying and coming back so I had to buy her book though she could not have been dead as long as she said she was. That would be impossible. She also had a brain tumour which has completely healed so I cannot wait to read her book. Another talked about being born in Canada and then going to the Caribbean for eight years. I was stunned to hear about the racism she experienced from white children in school when she returned. What is wrong with our school system? She shared more with me when I bought her book, but I don’t know if it is in the book, so I won’t share it with you. I was told by the organizer that I was next. I didn’t intend to speak, not because I am shy but I didn’t want to intrude because I am from Toronto and I was in Mississauga and I was on their turf. I went up and gave them some info on my books. I also shared that I was a Registered Psychotherapist and Registered Marriage and Family Therapist and that I had completed one Internship in Mississauga working with women who were financially, emotionally, sexually and physically abused. I may have forgotten to say physically abused. There are so many ways to abuse. So I said it was like coming home. And it was. I began to think of these amazing women who suffered so much at the hands of their husbands all new to Canada. Some were able to leave their husbands. We need to do a better job of helping immigrant women when they come to Canada. They need to understand that they are no longer the property of their husbands. They need to know that they are protected here and can have their own agency. We also have to monitor the agencies who are there to protect them. They need to know how to be ethical. I remember one person who did not want to go to court to testify against her husband for her own abuse. I told her she didn’t have to. She had been told that she had to and she was terrified. Another time, one young pregnant woman wanted to see me and I agreed. However, she had been informed she needed to go to another location though she lived across the street. I did fight for her, but lost. After all I was an Intern. I was told that her English wasn’t good and she would need someone to help her in her own language. Her English was fine. I didn’t like the politics but I am glad that my supervisor encouraged me to stay because I did help a lot of women who really needed it. I learned so much - amazing women with so much courage, they didn’t realize they had. To those of these countries where men dominate women, you lose so much in your hatred. Now I am hearing how certain men will not let women out of their sight at medical facilities. We cannot tolerate this. Do we want these type of men walking amongst us? Ok, back from memory lane and into the ballroom we go. I had two men approach me who were interested in me as a Veteran. This always happens. One was a delightful Italian man who was in World War Two, in Italy. He had a mischievous smile and told me how he came to Canada after the war, went to University and became a teacher. He raised his hand, indicating he would be back and returned with a book. “Do you know why I returned with this book?” I said no because he was actually asking me. He had forgotten. He asked me if I wanted his book. “Would you like me to buy it?” I asked quite prepared to do so. He wanted me to have it, still not sure why. In turn I gave him a copy of Hey Guy Buy Me. Why not? He will be the oldest man who has read the book. Another man had fought in Nigeria. He said he had to protect his country. I nodded understanding the horrors that occur. Lunch came and the patties were wonderful. They were bought at the Scarborough Town Centre. I bought two and I didn’t have to worry about the spice. I could have had them spicier. I later bought two more which is now in my freezer. We all shared our stories and at the end of the day I left, knowing I had met some amazing people and would look forward to seeing them again. Apparently, “important people” were invited but they were too busy. I presume they were politicians and them not attending is their loss. I must say that in Toronto, regardless of how busy they are, politicians usually do show up or have a representative do that. I see politicians everywhere at events in Toronto and you know, that is a good thing. When I went to the bathroom there was another section where people were crying - a funeral. Wow - What a place! Well, I had a lovely day and though there wasn’t much of the public coming in droves, it was a nice day with fellow writers with dreams and lives shared. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment