Wednesday 24 May 2023

Writers Corner

It is overcast once again. I have been balancing my life by taking every opportunity to sit in the sun and read for pleasure. My library had a book sale where for $5.00 you get a beautiful library bag full of books you choose from a wide selection. I bought so many that they remember me. I also did some garden work and decided that I love looking at flowers but don’t want to do the work. So, I will be looking for help in that department. Now back to love of books. Time flies so fast that I realized that it had been awhile since I sent out Ominous to publishers. So, I have to try to balance that out too. What I have found that for my genre it is tough. I am writing about a serial killer and there is a demonic component, a supernatural component and of course there is lots of mystery. I think this is my best book. It is only natural that if I write more, I get better. My own publisher has accepted the book but I am still undecided. I suppose I want a traditional publisher but that is difficult unless I have an agent. I am also thinking about that. Actually, I am doing so much thinking this time around which is slowing me down. But, you know? That’s ok. As I look for publishers I have to ensure that they are legitimate. There are so many scams who have found themselves in the world for writers. There is a site “writers beware” that provides some publishers you need to be weary about. So, first you have to find someone that likes the genre you are writing about and then there is the country thing. You have to be Australian or from New Zealand. You have to be from America or Canada and the beat goes on…………Also, there are those that don’t accept anything with a killing in the first chapter or first five chapters etc…….I chuckled reading a renowned author who was on the kill breaking all the rules of whom? Then there are those who only will work with feminists and you can’t say anything bad about women. Ok, I am a woman. I am a feminist because there are about six categories and believing in equal pay for equal work is a feminist. However, my main character, God forbid is a man. How awful is that? Also, another male detective who works in the team is a man, women normally run away from. He sees women has lunch. So, that won’t work for me. Now there are no gay characters in this book but there will be in my next so I may be able to find a publisher. I had planned on killing my character but I have to think about that. I am not writing a book about a gay character so I can find a publisher. I have had many gay men approach me and since they are not in any of my books, they walk away. I want to write books that is reflective of the society I live in. That includes men in power, white men, men who sexualize women consistently, etc……Then there are those publishers who want you to break down each chapter and summarize it. One wrote in her site that the reason is to know if you know the book you have written. Really? I have to admit I skip those. English class was more interesting. Then there are those who want to know your life story in 200 lines or so. Who am I buddy? Does it matter? So, because I am a straight, female, caucasian of all things and not Native Canadian, or have special needs, etc….I strike out and that is just trying to determine if I should submit anything. So, you see, this is why this method is taking me forever. However, it needs to be done. I do want my book out next year or my two fans or three will forget me. We are forgotten so easily. Oh, then there are those who want to take away all your rights….nada…..I skip those as well. And now that I am on a roll, there are those who don’t want you to provide your book to anyone else, but also may or may not respond within two months, six months or a year. So cruel………However, this is a good experience. Did you know that Harry Potter got shot down 50 times I believe? So, for my few fans out there be patient with me as I am trying to navigate this pathway in the publishing world who have all the power. Hopefully this provides some tips to you writers out there. In the meantime if you wish to buy my ebooks or soft covers, don’t hesitate. www.silvaredigonda.ca To dream……….What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment