Thursday 11 May 2023

Thoughts of the week - Who to vote for Mayor of Toronto - Perruzza?

Ever since Tory stepped down from being Mayor due to the press about to release that he had been having an affair with a staff member, I have been wondering who to vote for. I did vote for Tory and what I liked is that he realized that home owners in Toronto are not the personal banks of Councillors. Tory was everywhere and it is evident that he loved his job. I was eating lunch at Harvie's one day (they make great veggie burgers and onion rings) and had my back against two men, one who was talking about Tory to the other. He said that they couldn't have cared less about his affair, they just wanted him out. It is interesting how people forget where they are and that the walls have ears. During this election I am preparing myself on who to vote for. Each week one person I think I am going to vote for says something that makes me think - nope. I am taking this very seriously. People like to bash Toronto, but claim they live here when they don't. They are confusing the GTA, which actually means the greater Toronto area as being a resident of Toronto. Look at it this way. Confused where you live? Can you vote here? No? Do you pay taxes here? No....Guess what Pontiac. You live perhaps in Timbucktoo, but it ain't here. So, my dilemma. Who do I vote for? If you want to raise my taxes, it is a big NO. If you want to sue someone before you are even elected, it is a little no; and the beat goes on....on.......Why did I notice Perruzza? It took awhile. The first time I heard him that made sense to me is him complaining about hotels in Toronto being utilized as hotels for the homeless. I almost fainted when I heard how much that was costing for each individual. He provided an alternative much cheaper housing option. It reminded me of the Mayor in Niagara Falls complaining about using hotels for housing. I am watching the politics in Niagara because that is my idea of a good move from Toronto, which I planned on doing since I was a youngster. Mr Attitude (is holding me back) whom I live with is 100 years old in human years so though he doesn't look like he is going anywhere soon, I do check once in a while that he is breathing when he is resting. My boy is 21 years old. He is my tiny holiday each day. Now back to politics of my city. When the Mayor stepped down, everyone came out in droves. They reminded me of mice (I don't want to say rats, because that is too harsh) scurrying out from hiding. They now believed they had a chance to run our city. Our city has made some amazing decisions. Yup, no feeding birds, yup...no feeding any other creature, yup.....they tried to keep fluffy indoors, but thankfully Tory said that fluffy could go outside. They closed my park to cars which meant they closed my park to me. And that is what made me look at Perruzza seriously this morning. He said he wanted to open High Park to everyone. That is what my city used to be - for everyone. I haven't been to my park since. It all started with cyclists not wanting to stop for stop signs. They complained about being stopped by the Police. Ok, I haven't cycled in awhile. But I used to cycle everywhere when I worked shifts. If I had my way there would be paths all over the city for cyclists. However, they need to obey the rules of the road, like everyone else. So, one hopeful states he will close bike lanes and therefore, he's out in my books. We have some real serious issues in Toronto right now. It doesn't take a genius to run this city. It takes $200.00, I think it takes 25 signatures from residents and yes you have to be a resident of Toronto (which means it helps if you know where you actually live. That is one way to figure it out). That is all you require to run for Mayor, it appears. We have some serious crime here that needs attention. The TTC? Well I haven't been on a bus or subway since the pandemic. I certainly have no intention of using the services while people are randomly getting attacked and killed. So, I am concerned about small businesses. I am concerned that Corporations don't want to pay their employees but spend fortunes to people who figure out how to hurt the little guy/gal even more. We have a need for rent control and to ensure that people have heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. We need to get rid of the slum landlords that seemed to have moved here. We need to get people out of food banks when they have two or three jobs. We need to do a lot of work and it won't be done while we are wondering about how to stop the people of Toronto going to their favourite park, stop the elderly from feeding their birds (or the young) and stop all the rest of stuff which is normal elsewhere and get down to seriously think how to manage the money we do have and not to spend as if there is unlimited funding from the general tax payer. Now, what I really found interesting is that Niagara Falls had a dog named Pal being Mayor for a weekend. Perhaps, just perhaps Pal can apply. Oh, he is not a resident? Now that is too bad! He would certainly get my signature and hey.....I would pay for his 200.00 entry fee. That is much cheaper than what my taxes will be! What do you think? Hey Pal, I almost forgot the best one ever. The City put up signs at a dog park telling dogs not to bark. Of course they had so many complaints that someone saw the light and took down the signs. Pal, I'm serious. Why do you think I am asking for your help?

No comments:

Post a Comment