Tuesday 24 January 2023

Writer's Corner

I have been juggling hours with my practice education and picking out interests regarding my writing. Having a private practice is a business. Being an author is a business. If I wanted to be a business person I would have studied business and not psychology, and taking creative writing and English for fun in between hard core studies. So, I need to make some adjustments. Today I will be talking about my books. I have written four and published three. I am still deciding what to do with my last book “Ominous”. Should I go with a publisher or go Indie which means taking full control of everything and all money going to me. Today I attended a Sisters Of Crime education period. They talked about piracy, too late, already happened to me. Some authors apparently don’t care. I care. I really care. It is annoying when you take the time to write a book and learn that it is out there making nice money for a pirate. Do readers want to support that? They talked about selling on your own website. I have that with shopify. You can find my books at www.silvaredigonda.ca. You buy directly from me. I do it all. They offered a tip about selling books at what they want to pay but list a minimum price. I can do that with Hey Guy Buy Me, but have to figure out how it is done. Right now I have left it at $5.00 a book which is half price. I learned that readers have to trust us. You can trust me! I suppose that doesn’t mean much if you don’t know me. They said you have to make the buying experience easy. I think my web site is pretty easy. They talked about returns. One said there is no returns for the ebooks and she offers a two week buy back. I don’t. It is not to be cruel or greedy. I have never sent a book back that I have ordered. I think my books are fairly priced. In matter of fact when I sell my books in person, my readers want to give me more. Hey some do in my practice as well and for the practice part, I think it is unethical and for the books, I don’t feel right about it. Maybe I should say pay what you would like and then what? What if they pay less than my costs? Ouch…..Maybe I have to rethink what I am doing or re-adjust. I did notice that people who buy from me at an event return to me. I like that. I had one guy tell me off about Hey Guy Buy Me. In matter of fact I have had more than one guy not like the book. It was written in fun. Am I making fun of men? Maybe. But, it is with love. I feel comfortable enough with men to do that. Why? Because I have always had good relationships with men since I was an itsy child. I know there are creepy men out there. Do they read my books? Hey, anyone can read my books. So, if you are going to trust me and I think you should, I suggest you check out my web site. Apparently our readers google us to determine if we are real. I am real. It was suggested that we check the web site and ensure we look the same everywhere. Well, how am I supposed to do that? Does that mean I can’t change my hair colour anymore? Does that mean I can’t change as I grow older? Does that mean I have to use botox or do face lifts and any other kind of lifts out there? I assure you I am me. If you buy a book from me, it is me who signs it however you like, but keep it clean. I need to interact with you once a week. Ok, I shall try to do that more about the book part. I am interacting. Does that make you trust me or like me and God forbid hate me. I am to encourage you to make comments and delete the trolls and nasty stuff. I can do that. Ok, have you read my book? Would you like to make a comment? No, you haven’t read my book? Ok, here is your chance. www.silvaredigonda.ca Tomorrow I am attending a York University scholar hour and the topic will be Why weight loss is hard. Me thinks I already studied that one in undergrad, but hey with my new older look, there may be some advancement. So, of course I shall share any pertinent information with you. On Thursday I am also going to listen in to Eating Disorders and Addiction. I have written about that before so unless something is new, I shall only use that for education hours. As much as I attend in both about Sisters of Crime and psychotherapy, there is much more that I don’t attend because there is so much out there. Saturday I also attended self and client care. That was with my alumni group and it was wonderful seeing everyone. That was in the morning. In the afternoon it was with the Sisters in Crime and how to turn our books into movies. It appears Publishers are looking for us. I think all my books can be wonderful movies. I would go see it. Hey, here is something perhaps you can help me with. What do I say when someone asks me if my books are any good? I have a few ask me at book events. I have replied with, no, I write as bad as I possibly could. What kind of question is that to ask an author about her books? No, I write as poorly as I can. Help me! Talk soon. By the way…am I establishing a relationship with you yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment