Thursday 5 January 2023

For Love Of Country - Military Policewoman continues......... www.silvaredigonda.ca

I arrived home at midnight. After a sixteen-hour shift, I was ready for bed. I had loved my job and was sorry to say goodbye. I slept most of Sunday, hoping to rid myself of the excruciating headache that had crept up. My uncle Lauren and his wife Sally visited, and I decided to spend the day with my family. Thoughts of the military dominated the day. “My greatest fear,” I thought, “is losing my femininity.” October 7th is my father’s birthday. I spent most of the day cleaning the house, a rare event. At supper, Dad anxiously unwrapped the presents we had given him. He appeared happy with the electric shaver I had purchased for the occasion. It was a routine small gathering with only the four of us: me, my mom, dad and sister. We indulged as usual by gorging ourselves on food and birthday cake. Later that evening, Chris, Sandy, and I went for a drive to Milton in Chris’s Chevy. I drove. Chris announced that he had decided to live with his girlfriend. I cringed. “Of all the girls in Toronto he has to find the worst,” I thought. “So, she wants to move in with him. Too bad I’m leaving. I would have arranged some blind dates for him and then…” ” Excerpt From: Silva Redigonda. “For love of country : military policewoman.”

No comments:

Post a Comment